PDA

View Full Version : Help--I want to paint a wood table and chairs set--need info!

mommyj_2
01-20-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm planning to get my DS a wood table and chairs set and then paint it. I'm wondering what kind of paint I should use. I plan to use the table for his arts projects, but I'll probably use one of those plastic tablecloths to protect the wood when he does projects (although it would still be nice to be able to wipe the table clean easily). I've never done this kind of thing before, so I'm clueless about kinds of paints and brands.
I'm also hoping to paint an easel. It has clear lacquer over it, so would I be able to paint it if I sanded it first, or do I need something else to remove the lacquer?
As you can see, I'm desperately in need of some advice here.
TIA

ellies mom
01-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Ok Two part question so two part answer.

Part one- Depending on the look you are going for you can use a latex paint or a water-based stain (easier clean up, less fumes than oil-based). The stains come in billions of different colors. If you want a long wearing (ETA- easy to clean) finish add a few coats of a water based "polyurethane". The difference between paint or stain is basically weather or not you want to see the grain of the wood. Stains tend to be more subtle, with grain showing. So, once you decide the look you are going for, I recommend talking to the people at your local "naked" furniture place. They can be a huge help but tend to go the stain route vs. paint.

Part two- You really need to remove the lacquer finish to change the color. You can simply sand it, but it maybe easier to go the chemical stripper route. Especially if you can take the easel apart. Personally, if I couldn't take the easel apart I wouldn't bother trying to change the color.

I can't wait to do this project for DD (need to wait for the crib to go since the room is small first). Post pictures when you are done so we can see the results. Good luck and have fun.

NYSarah
01-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Chiming in to agree with the previous post - we painted all our nursery furniture, over a dark stain and lacquered finish -- we sanded the lacquer so the paint would stick, primed (because the stain was so dark), painted with water-based latex and then finished with a couple coats of water-base polyurethane (clear -- watch out for the amber ones!). It looks great, it's very durable and can be wiped with a wet cloth! The fumes were a little much for me personally, so you might want to try and do the painting (especially the polyurethane) in a garage or outside.

zen_bliss
02-03-2005, 11:14 AM
the primer zinsser BIN bullseye 1-2-3 works over anything, even glossy surfaces without sanding. i painted a varnished changing table without sanding first because i didn't have any place to do sanding! i found out about the primer from a wood toymaking site. make sure you get the water based version for baby-safeness. it dries quickly. there is also a spray version but it made drips. it's available at most hardware stores in small (about $8) and large (about $18) buckets.

mommyj_2
02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info! I still haven't decided what colors to paint DS's set, but at least I won't have to do any sanding or anything.