PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a music-themed bedroom

lmintzer
02-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I posted this in one of the forums a while ago but never got any response. Maybe some of you creative moms here might be able to help.

Our family is moving from Chicago to Philadelphia in 2 months. We (including my 3+ year-old Jack) are sad about the move. Jack really seems to get it--he talks about not wanting to have to find new friends and a new school . . . Not wanting to be a downer here but just set the stage for my idea--to involve him in creating a great new bedroom.

Jack adores music. He's more into music than most children his age (and I know many love music). He loves listening to music on his daddy's iPod. He knows modern artists like his favorite, the Bare Naked Ladies and John Mayer. He loves classical music (which he equates with the Baby Einstein videos). He has a guitar, a harmonica, and an acordian, and well as the typical toddler/preschooler plastic instruments. So, I'm thinking a music-themed room would be perfect.

I am trouble coming up with an idea--or a piece--hat will help me organize the room. I've done some internet searching, and I don't come up with much. I did find one musical note bedding set (sheets and duvet cover) from Garnet Hill (see below). Though I know I duvet is probably much too hot to use year 'round.

What about a mural-border musical staff with notes painted on that are the melody to a song he likes? I could do this myself (maybe) or have a muralist do it. It could be 2/3 down the wall so it's very visible to a small child. Or what about a mural on one wall of some musicians (or animals?) playing instruments? Does anyone know of any books with such themes that we could copy from? I would like the room to be youthful but not babyish--something that could he would enjoy for a number of years.

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20923.jpg

wookiewoo
02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
What a great idea! I can't wait until my little one starts to develop interests of her own. For now it's been fun doing things that I think she'll like (ie things I like :) )

It sounds like you have lots of great ideas for your theme. I did a mural for DD of teddy bears and she loves looking at it now. There have been several posts about murals (I can help you search for them if you can't find them on here) We used an overhead projector and then traced and painted it on the wall. Impressive but realitively easy and cheap b/c the only cost is paint and brushes.

Maybe you could use sheet music as wall paper? Maybe like decopage? Maybe make a marching band along the ground, or a jukebox, music notes for a border or lyrics for a song? You could use blank cds, you could even make him a "platinum" record of a song he likes to sing (you know, like the artist gets for selling umpteen million records) There are so many cool things you could do! If I think of some more I'll post :)

Good luck moving and with the room! Post pics if you can, I'd like to see how it turns out!

Heather

groovybubs
02-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe you can use cds and attach them to a mobile. Or decorate the border of a mirror with cds or cut out pics of your favorate aritists from Rolling stone magazine and use it as a collage or decoration.

lynettefrancois
02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
How about a small platform built from 2x4s and plywood to make a STAGE complete with a karaoke machine? You could stencil notes or "super"stars on floor of the platform for some pattern. You could put a curtain behind it on the wall, or even make curtains hang from the ceiling for a true 3 sided stage. It would be easy to do. He could keep his instruments on it like a real band would (also may help him keep things neat). Email me if you need instructions on how to make a simple platform or curtains... lynette francois @ att . net without spaces. HTH!

lmintzer
02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Cute idea (to create a stage)! I'll have to see how we are for wall space in his room. The kids' bedrooms are not huge. Maybe the stage could even double as a puppet theater or something for creative play. If we don't do that in his room, we definitely could in the basement which we are planning on finishing. Thanks.