PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbookers: recommendation for scissors?

nitaghei
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
The kind to do a deckle edge with. The cheap $2 piece of junk Fiskars I bought at Michael's bit the dust with a single L/O. Would appreciate a recommendation for something that will last longer, get the job done and isn't too $$$$.

TIA!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

ellies mom
03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
I have the Fiskars Paper Edgers long deckle scissors. I've had them for almost 4 years and love them. I think I spent about $10 for them. Scissors can be a "you get what you pay for" item. I have a bunch of cheapo ProvoCraft scissors, but my Fiskars Deckle is the pair I reach for over and over. They're actually the only pair of decorative scissors I keep in my "most used supplies" box.

nitaghei
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks!

Fiskars must have more than one kind, then? This particular pair was all I could find at my local not very nice Michael's.

Did you find yours at a Michael's/ AC Moore type of place, or a real scrapbooking store? At this point, I'm willing to spend $10 for a decent pair. I started scrapbooking fairly recently. I'm really enjoying doing it, and I have a better sense of what stuff I'm likely to use, and a decent pair of deckle scissors seems to be worth getting.

Thanks!!

Nita

ellies mom
03-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I bought mine at a real scrapbooking store. You should be able to find them at other places that sell scrapbooking supplies too. Personally in my mind if you only bought one pair of decorative scissors it should be a pair of deckle scissors. They are so versatile. I pull out my other pairs (they are kept separate), and invariably, put them back and use the deckles ones. Having the longer blade is really nice too. It isn't as important with the deckle edge, but matching up cuts is a real bother.

I think when it comes to cutting supplies in general, spending a little more is worth it.

MelissaTC
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I have a pair of Fiskars that I bought at Michaels about 4 or 5 years ago and they are still going. I paid more than $2 though. I also have a pair of Creative Memories scissors which I have had for the same amount of time and they are still going as well, with no issues.

nitaghei
03-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Melissa! I did a search for the one that Veronica recommended, and according to the Fiskars home page, the only authorized dealer in my area is over 40 miles away. And I live in a major metro area - not out in the boonies :( I'll check out my local AC Moore - which is relatively new and well-stocked - compared to the Michael's, at any rate. Sigh. I really don't want to pay shipping.

Nita

em_jon98
03-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Do you have an Archivers nearby? They may have something similar in another brand. I have found that they really only carry the best items.

nitaghei
03-31-2005, 01:14 PM
No! No such luck. There is one near my ILs home, though. Must remember to check it out next time we're in Minnesota.

I'm just going to suck it up and pay shipping. :(

Nita

mom to little e
04-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Nita,
Have you found your sissors? I may have an extra pair of Fiskars that you could have for shipping. LMK.

Casey
Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!

nitaghei
04-01-2005, 12:56 PM
OMG!! THANK YOU! I've been swamped at work and with other projects (including dyeing playsilks), so I still haven't got around to getting the scissors. I'd be glad to pay you! Could you please email me - either through the boards or at obedcocker @ yahoo . com (remove spaces).

Just saw your other post - can I free ride on your expertise? I just started scrapbooking a little while ago, and I'm pretty much doing very simple stuff.

I want to do a scrapbook as a gift for my parents - it's pics from our trip to India - so mostly DS and grandparents. I have maybe 15-20 pics that are decent. Right now I was considering doing a smallish album - with a single or 2 small pics a page. Would a 8x8 work better than a 6x6? Or is there another size that would be better? I would like to have a fair amount of space for journaling.

TIA

Nita

pritchettzoo
04-02-2005, 11:33 PM
If you want to do journaling, I would go with an 8 x 8 album. So far that's the only one I've completed for Gracie--with our first family trip. You can get colored pages in an 8x8 size (The Deck? The Stack? Something like that--in a big tablet at Michael's, Joann's, etc.) I wound up not trimming any of the pictures and just double-stick-taping them on 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 paper (also the Deck/Stack deal) in a complementary color and then journaling above or below. It drives me batty when the paper trim isn't the same size all the way around the picture, so those tablets saved my sanity. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

nitaghei
04-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks Anna! The Stack thingie is on sale at Michael's this week. I'm probably going to head over there today at lunch, and get supplies together. My parents are going to be here in less than a month (WOOOHOOO), and I'd love to have this done before they get here.

Otherwise, I'm bouncing between the two albums I'm doing for Neel and Max (my cocker, as grief therapy :( ) and those are just big, ongoing projects. Of course, what I *should* be spending the time on is finishing the draft for the current law review article I'm working on, but . . . .

Nita

JTsMom
04-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Those cheapy scissors make me nuts too. The best solution I have found (although it isn't cheap) is to buy different blades for my Fiskars paper cutter. I originally bought it for all cropping/trimming stuff- it will do up to 12X12 easily, but you can buy different blades that will make decorative edges too. They even sell one that scores paper.

I think the whole thing with the regular blade is about $40, but I used one of those 40% off Michael's coupons, so it wasn't that bad. The other blades are around $5-$7 I think. It's nice b/c you don't have to match up the blade to the last cut- just one zip and you're done.

pritchettzoo
04-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I double dog dare you to submit a scrapbooked law review article. Don't you think they'd appreciate deckle edges and coordinating prints? ;)

I bet your album for Max will be really special. And Neel's too, of course.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

nitaghei
04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
ROFL!! Now I've been trying to imagine how I would have reacted to getting that when I was Articles Editor. It would certainly score for orginality :)

But I'm being chicken; besides, I do a fair amount of electronic submission and I still haven't got the hang of digital scrapbooking! :) :)

Nita