PDA

View Full Version : How to use old-fashioned photo corners?

christic
04-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Is anyone aware of any online instructions for mounting photos using photo corners, or is there a book out there that would help? I have both the traditional corners (that need water to activate the adhesive) as well as self-adhesive ones on a roll. My problem is that the photo album is a very expensive bound book so I can't really just start experimenting. I'm not sure how to get everything straight on the page, make sure the corners are glued down in the right place, etc, etc.

I need to get this project done (they're our wedding photos and my daughter's 3!!!!!!), but I'm afraid of messing it up and can't even get started without some how-to guidance. This should be simple, right?

Thanks for any ideas! I've searched the web and come up with nothing that seemed very helpful.

Chris

ellies mom
04-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Do you intend to remove the photos from the album or do you want them there for life? If you want them there for life, what I would do is adhere the photos to the paper in the center of the photos leaving the corners clear. Then just insert the corners into place. If you want to remove the photos, then I'd put the corners on the photo, and then place it in the album.

To line everything up, I use a 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" quilting ruler. It covers a whole 12x12 page and really helps to line things up straight, but a smaller ruler would help also.

One thing to consider when choosing what type of corners to use (I just learned this last week), that "Undo" product you find in the scrapbook store only works on self-adhesive things, not "glued down" things. So if you used the self-adhesive corners and placed something in the wrong spot, you could remove it without damging the page. Of course I'd test it first.

HTH

new_mommy25
04-18-2005, 06:28 PM
First off all, lay everything down so you know exactly how you want it to look. Like Veronica I also use a ruler. What I do with the corners is wet and then put them on the photo and then lay the photo into the book. Does that make sense?

pritchettzoo
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow--great idea on the quilting ruler! I never would have thought of that. Thanks! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

christic
04-19-2005, 12:04 PM
It does make sense, although I have more questions :)! Do you leave the ruler in the book as a guide to where to lay the photo, or make pencil marks or something? I was thinking I'd be pasting in the corners first and then putting the photo in, but your way makes much more sense. Do the corners stay put on the photo as you're putting it in? I was picturing the corners falling off the photo as I was laying it down, but I guess they must have a tighter fit so that the photos stay in the book!

I know I'm putting way to much thought into all this but I'm so afraid of goofing it up. Why didn't I just hire a normal wedding photographer who did albums too???

Thanks for the tips, and the quilting ruler idea too!

Chris

ellies mom
04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I put the ruler on the page rather than making marks, but with a bound book that may not work as well. As far as the corners falling off, as long as you get two down right, the other two should fall in place. What you may want to consider since it is a bound book is using some of that removable adhesive to tack (the sewing term) the photos in place to make sure you have them where you want them and then add the corners. That way you can move them if you want before you commit to the corners, rather than damaging one of the pages. Then later if you want, you can remove the pictures and leave the corners in place.

christic
04-21-2005, 08:11 AM
>>What you may want to consider since it is a bound book is using some of that removable adhesive to tack (the sewing term) the photos in place to make sure you have them where you want them and then add the corners. That way you can move them if you want before you commit to the corners, rather than damaging one of the pages. Then later if you want, you can remove the pictures and leave the corners in place.

I think the removable adhesive is the secret ingredient I've been looking for! I do want to be able to remove the photos if necessary, but I think I need that extra peace of mind that tacking them down first will give me. I was going to look at the scrapbooking section of Michael's so will look for the adhesive as well as a decent ruler to use.

Thank you!

Chris