PDA

View Full Version : Recovering glider cushions

lany
05-04-2005, 02:07 PM
We need to recover the cushions for our glider in the nursery to go with the new theme. I've looked to just buy replacement cushions, but haven't seen any. Has anyone done this or had it done? If so, can you give me an idea on cost/effort? The cushions seems like a pretty standard size. Thanks in advance!

tarabenet
05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
The seat and back are an easy DIY project, if you don't choose a super-heavy upholstery fabric. The arm-rests are a little trickier, especially to make them so they don't roll off the tops. You'll need to track down the kind of snaps tht correspond to the ones embedded in the underside of the arm. Try an upholstery supply, or possibly a general-sewing chain store (Hancock's, Jo-Ann, maybe Michael's). An alternative might be to sew one side of velcro to the cover and staple-gun the corresponding half into the wooden armrest (stick-on velcro doesn't seem to stay put, and it is hard on your sewing machine).

To find someone to do the work for you, check with local quilt shops, which usually keep lists of people who will sew for others, or ask desiginers/decorators for recommendations for good workshops in your area. You could talk to an upholstery shop, too. If you want to use heavy upholstery fabric and are envisioning piping/welting, skip the quilt shop connection and head for the big guys.

Good luck!

Benet

Lynnie
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I wanted to recover mine, but knew I would never get it done, so I bought replacement cushions from babylove in south florida. They were shipped directly from dutalier to my house, so I am sure they could order them for you even if you don't live in florida. Don't have their number handy, but they have a website if you want to take the easy (although more expensive :-( way out)