PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbookers--looking for opinions on Coluzzle or similar

pritchettzoo
05-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I saw the Coluzzle templates at Michael's today. You know, the ones where you can cut out shapes and have the mat be even all the way around the picture... I have used the Stack for matting pictures, and they work well but are pricier and limited in colors. I have tons of paper and if I could make my own EVENLY, I would.

Any good or bad things to know about them? I'll wait for a coupon or a sale, but I need to get this show on the road or Gracie will never have a baby book!

Thanks for your input. Alternative suggestions are welcome.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

holliam
05-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Anna,

I've been scrapbooking a long time so I'll share my little words of wisdom.

I think when people first start out scrapbooking they are very drawn to the cool shapes, etc. But, after a while you realize that they can be distracting from your pictures. I wouldn't do shapes beyond squares/rectangles and possibly a few circles or ovals at first.

IMO you're better off getting a good paper cutter. With a paper cutter, you can just put a piece of paper behind the photos and easily eye-ball it to trim to the size you want for your matt.

If you want some circles or ovals, they do work well, but I wouldn't get other shapes.

Holli

Expecting-girl
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I have the tag Coluzzle template and use it occassionally. I agree with Holli, you would probably use a good paper cutter more. I tend to have a simple scrapbooking style.

Good luck on your book!

Sherida

ellies mom
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm agreeing with the PPs. I hardly use anything other than squares and rectangles. I tend to be really anal, so while I have a paper cutter and use it all the time I also use a quilting ruler and rotary cutter because then I can get my mats even. I glue the photo to the paper and then cut the matt. If I cut the matt and photo separately I can't get them even to save my life.

I think the culuzzle is intriguing but I haven't sprung for it yet. I'm still using templates and scissors for the rare times I use circles and ovals.

pritchettzoo
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I just wanted the square, rectangle, circle, and ovals. The last scrapbook I really got into was for our honeymoon (7 years ago!) and I drove myself bonkers trying to get the ovals even. I had a template with probably 4 different sized shapes but you had to cut either the picture or the mat by eye. I would go around and around and around...

I have a little Fiskars paper trimmer--would you suggest something larger? Or a different brand?

Anna

mmaimp
05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I like the Creative Memories circle and oval cutters. They have been adding other shapes that use the same cutters. You can just cut the mat a size or two larger depending on how big of a mat you want. There is a slight learning curve but I think they're much easier to use than the Coluzzle.

amp
05-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm with Holli. I just use a Fiskars paper trimmer and do only squares and rectangles. After playing around w/ shapes in the early days, I learned that I don't even like circles and ovals. I prefer a basic square/rectangle shape, and I can accomplish that by putting the pic on the cardstock and trimming by eyeing it and get a pretty good mat that way.

I have used Coluzzle for letters and numbers and stuff, but I find it too tedious to use. Scrapbooking has come so far in the last years that I find I use a lot of premade stuff that looks like die cuts, so I don't really even pull out the old Coluzzle anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

MelissaTC
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Anna- I would skip the coluzzle and invest in a Creative Memories cutting system, that way you can cut your photos in circles and ovals and won't need a crafting knife around. These are the only shapes I cut mine in and I have had my CM system for 6 years now. You just need to replace the cutting blades when they dull which isn't too often.

I have tried tons of paper trimmers. My current favorite is the Zision by Provo Craft. It actually cuts straight! I have tried various Fiskar trimmers and they just got bent out of shape in the middle after awhile. The new Creative Memories trimmer is not bad either.

There is a website that I ordered from and was very happy - www.scrapbooking-warehouse.com . They have a flat shipping rate but all their prices are discounted (some significantly!) and I got my items very quickly. If you are looking to invest in some supplies, they are definitely worth checking out!

pritchettzoo
05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
PM me so you don't break any rules! ;)

Anna