PDA

View Full Version : First Creative Memories Party

vikivoly
06-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I went to my first CM party this evening and this is what I bought. I am a novice scrapbooker who is still on Gillian's first year album(she's 2 1/2). How did I do?

12 x 12 Album
Cutting Sytem with Oval Patterns
Corner Rounder
12" Decorative Trimmer

Is there anything else I should buy? I did forget the page protectors, but I may be going to another party soon, so I'll pick some up then.

Also, does it bug anyone that their pages don't hold 12x12 paper? I almost didn't buy one of their albums because of that, but I really liked the quality and how the pages lay flat. My current album is an 8 1/2 x 11 and I hate the size. I find it hard to arrange the pics on it. Will I be annoyed that I have to trim the paper to fit in their album? I don't understand why they wouldn't make their pages a little bigger to accomodate the 12x12 pages.

Also, since I'm behind, what order do you suggest I do my albums? Should I try to complete Gillian's first year and second year before starting Cameron's first year? Should I just call it quits on Gillian's first year and start on Cameron's first year? Or, should I try to do them simultaneously until I get caught up?

ellies mom
06-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Personally if I was in your place, I'd try to return it. My first album wasn't a Creative Memories but it didn't hold a 12x12 either. I hated it. I ended up just giving it away and replacing it. It simply is not worth the hassle to trim down every page. You will be annoyed. Is it the kind where the pages are basically a piece of cardstock that you use as a base, and the page protector is a sleeve you slide over the completed page? If so, remember this is just my opinion, but I would not use that set up. If you want to add a layout in between two others or just change the order, you really can't do it because your layouts are basically glued to the pages. If you really like how the strap bound albums work, you can get pages that are basically top loading page protectors. You build the layout on the card stock of your choice and then slide it into the page protector. If you want to move it later, you just pull it out. No commitment required. Personally though, I really like the post bound albums. They tend to be true 12x12s and when you look at a two page layout you don't have the white strips in the middle breaking it up.

I have both the Close to My Heart and Making Memories post bound albums. The Close to My Heart offer really nice quality albums but you pay for it. The Making Memories album is still a good quality album but much more reasonably price and a lot more color options.

Close to My Heart is like Creative Memories in that you buy from a consultant. The Making Memories album you can buy in most scrapbook stores. Personally I prefer Close To My Heart over Creative Memories because I think they offer a lot more of the stuff I'm looking for.

I'm sorry, I didn't intend for this to be a dissertation on the subject, but I hope it helps a little.

aim
06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't think that you will regret buying a CM album - their quality is second to none and they have a lifetime guarantee - if anything ever happens you will not have a problem. That being said. If you are use to scrapbooking on looseleaf pages the transition to CM may be different for you because you can scrapbook directly on the pages and then embellish - you don't need to wallpaper every page There are lots of ways to embellish without using a background paper to distract your layout. This will make it much easier to get pages done and your album will have a uniform look. But if you do want to, CM has paper called Perfect Fot paper - it fits perfectly between the "jeeping" (the plastic sides that reinforce the pages - no trimming involved.

Oh and if you are looking for another very useful tool the punches are awesome - I would start with the large square punch - you get two sizes in one punch great value for your money they nest and can be used in so many ways.

Just my opinion

Amy
Mom to bennett 1-14-04

vikivoly
06-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the comments ladies. I decided to keep the album and give it a try - if I don't like it, well it's only one album, right? A large part of my decision to keep it had to do with the socialization aspect. I'm hoping to start going to some the CM crop parties and I think that will be an incentive for me to actually complete the album.

Veronica,

Thanks for bringing the page arrangement problems to my attention. Since I'll likely do most of my layouts on background paper I'm thinking I can attach them to the pages with repositionable tape and if I need to move them, then I'll hopefully be able to do so.

I've been reading all of the old scrapbook threads and have found your posts to be very helpful. Thanks!

hez
06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Enjoy your scrapbook, BTW. I'm a CM-user, and love it :) And, I do all my best scrapbooking in groups. I get much more motivated that way!

MelissaTC
06-10-2005, 01:22 PM
If you want to cover your background with 12x12 paper, I believe you need to trim about 1/2 inch and it should fit perfectly.

CM is big on keeping it simple which is why they don't carry 12x12 paper. I personally love 12x12 paper so when I put anything in my CM albums, I trim it. Although it does get to be tedious so I tend to use my Stampin' Up! album more.

Since you are behind, you should start current. Do what is fresh in your mind. If you try to start backwards, you may never catch up!

MelissaTC
06-10-2005, 01:22 PM
oops...

hez
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Did you know CM has 'perfect fit' paper now? I hosted a party last weekend and learned a few new (new to me, anyway!) things. I was excited-- I'e always cut down my 12x12 papers to make them fit, too.