PDA

View Full Version : How much fabric to buy?

cairo06
01-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone, I'm hoping this is an easy question to answer. I know it would depend on the pattern I want to make, but how much fabric should I estimate to make a girl's dress? Is there a general amount that would keep my bases covered? The fabric I've looked at is 1.5 meters wide - would 2 meters be okay? Sorry don't know what that is in yards.

Thanks for your help.

Cristina

etaylor75
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
If you go to www.mccallpattern.com, you can look up patterns - search girl dress and you'll get a lot of choices, so based on a style you can estimate the amount of fabric needed.

Here's one example:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5305.htm

Hope that helps!
Erin

californiagirl
01-11-2007, 05:15 PM
A meter is roughly a yard (it's bigger, so measurements in yards will leave you a nice cushion converted to meters).

It really depends a LOT on what kind of dress you're thinking of and what size child -- a straight, sleeveless shift for a 2 year old? Get a half meter. A long sleeved poofy dress for a 14 year old? 3 meters is more like it. 2 meters should do it for most cases, though, assuming the kid is reasonably small and isn't going to demand something with lots of ruffles.

s7714
01-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I was going to suggest about 2 meters as well. Keep in mind that if you end up picking a pattern that requires more, you could also find a coordinating fabric and construct the dress using both fabrics. For example the bodice could be one fabric while the skirt and sleeves are another.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

cairo06
01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
I didn't realize you could already find so much information on the pattern without actually purchasing it. I've only ever sewn pillows, curtains, and the occasional hem. I've been living in Egypt for the past year and we are getting ready to go back home and I don't want to pass up the good deals at the local fabric bazaar! I think I can pull off a couple of simple jumper style dresses for my daughter - the ruffles will have to wait until I get more experience. Can't wait to get back home and get my sewing machine out of storage!

Thank you for all your help!

Cristina

ForeverYoung
01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
OOOHHH, Lucky you! Buy as much as you can. Think of how much it would cost to have it all "imported".