PDA

View Full Version : Looking for instructions on how to make cloth decorated baby wipe cases

tiredmommyof8
04-04-2007, 07:30 AM
I would like to have instructions on how to turn the plastic baby wipes cases/holders into beautiful fabric covered decor. I have seen these on eBay (very expensive) but have been unable to find out how to make them. I have fabric leftover from my nursery sewing and would love to have one of these and maybe make a couple for my girlfriends. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

etaylor75
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Here's a good pattern - I've made a couple and they turn out really cute!

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/dipecase.html

Erin

tiredmommyof8
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Thank you those are really cute and I might make one but it isn't what I am looking for. The one I want you actually take the plastic container/tub and decorate it with fabric and trim. If I physically had one to look at I could probably figure it out myself. I may have to break down and buy one.

tarabenet
04-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Could you show us a link to one like you are talking about? Maybe we can help you out a little. Is it just done with hot glue?

tiredmommyof8
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/tiredmommyof8/babywipescase.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/tiredmommyof8/babywipescase2.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

I did find some information today and it does basically say that these are put together with fabric, batting, trim, and any decorative items using a glue gun. I have not seen one in person only on the Internet and that is why I have been trying to find more detailed instructions. I can't tell from the photos if the bottom of the large plastic container is covered or not. I also can't tell on the travel size container if it is one piece of fabric or two. My guess is two. I have seen some that completely cover the tops and I have seen some that cut out the tops where the container has the pop up smaller opening to pull out the wipes. I guess I just need to pull out my supplies and start playing. I thought about buying one to see it in person. Thanks again.

tarabenet
04-05-2007, 06:22 AM
If decorating the bottom, I'd definitely leave out the batting there, for a more stable bottom and also because it would make for a cleaner edge finish on the side pieces. Also, I'd consider using a spray adhesive to hold the batting to the box and the fabric to the batting, and then the glue gun to add the trim and finish off edges. But then again, if you have wipes boxes (plural) handy, you could always try it with just the hot glue first.

For the smaller case, I'm thinking that one piece might actually be better, as there is less bulk that way. Also, don't run the glue too close to the hinge area, but let the fabric have a little freedom tom move when the box is opened.

Just my thoughts. And they are worth exactly what you paid for them! Have fun with your project!

Allyson47
04-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Hi, Did you make one yet ? I want to make one too and was wanting to know if you could offer any advice. I was considering making the travel case. Do you think that has batting?
Thanks, Allyson

tiredmommyof8
04-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I am in the process of making a travel size one now. I'll try and post a photo of it later. Yes I am using batting on both the top and the bottom. I bought the 1/4 inch low loft quilter's polyester batting but I am having to put 2 layers to make it feel good so next time I'll get the 1/2 inch. I did put hot glue on the lid top BUT won't do that again as you can feel it through the fabric. I think if it is just around the edges it will work. I also bought 1/2 inch rick rack trim and I am not as happy with it as I would have been with a braided trim. Because of where I glued it on the case to make it visibly pleasing it will get caught on the inside if I am not careful when I close it. I tried to cut a paper pattern as close to the actual top and bottom as I could that way there would be less to trim as I went along. Trial and error. The next one will be better. Good luck.

Allyson47
04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
As soon as my e-check clears, I will get the instructions. I just paid 5.00 for them on ebay. I will share them with you asap.

tiredmommyof8
04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
GREAT! Another seller and I emailed recently and she told me about the other person with the instructions listed but I couldn't find them. What were they listed under?

Allyson47
04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
This is how its posted on ebay :
How to Make Baby Wipes Case Cover~No Sew Instructions!

Cut and paste that in your search bar in ebay and it should come up.

tiredmommyof8
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Thank you I finally found them. I went ahead and bought them and I am just waiting on them to arrive in my email. Maybe I'll get so good at this I'll write the instructions on making the bigger size. Have fun with your crafting!

babybugs
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I was looking for the instructions on making a cloth decorated baby wipe case. I had wanted to make one for my girlfriend. was the instructions you purchased from ebay worth the money or was it a sham? I had purchased something like this before and did not find it helpful at all. Could you please let me know if I should pay for them?? Thank you, :Lori