PDA

View Full Version : Applique for apron--where to find?

nupe
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I ordered some of the personalized WS aprons. I'd like to put appliques on them, such as a train for DS, flag for DH, ? for me. Are any places better than others for good selection? Jo-anne's, Hancock fabrics, a particular sewing shop, quilting shops, Michael's; B&M or online?

Thanks,

rlu
06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Are you looking for premade or just material to cut the pictures from?

I get patches for DS's pants from Hancock simply because it is close but they can be expensive when you need two per pants and he goes through at least one pair of pants a day. Luckily DH is with the BSA and he buys their obsolete patches on the cheap.

I recently found a way to make my own patches using regular fabric and a fusible web called Wonder Under. I'm not sure these will hold up as well as "real" patches on his pants unless I get some type of tough fabric though. Should work for your aprons though. Linking with permission http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/2007/05/02/patched/

tarabenet
06-01-2007, 05:59 PM
For lighter applications, like the apron, I'd recommend Steam-A-Seam-2. It has repositionable adhesive on both sides, so you can get everything exactly the way you want it before you iron it to make it permanent.

For jeans patches with the stronger bond like the pre-mades have, you may like HeatnBond or Heatnbond Ultra. They are much heavier sheets of fusible material, where the others are webs of fusible. The heavier stuff, though, will be much much stiffer and you'll lose a lot of flexibility in the fabric. And you are definitely right that repair patches are only as tough as the fabric from which they are made.

rlu
06-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks, I suspected a heavier material would be necessary - it just would have been nice to make some with Clifford or Bob (easy to find on cotton fabric).

Since I always sew them on otherwise DS picks them off, I'll just stick with the Boy Scouts ones.