PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Father's Day Gifts?

Lucia
05-10-2004, 06:01 AM
Anyone have cute and easy ideas for Father's Day gifts? Please share them. DS is just starting to "draw" so I was thinking about framing one his creations. But no other ideas have come to mind yet.I am trying to come up with something soon so I can have it ready before we leave for a month-long trip (my poor husband will be by himself on Father's Day and the rest of the month of June).

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

raynjen
05-10-2004, 08:24 PM
For last Father's day we made Daddy a cast of Noelle's handprint. They have an air-drying clay at the craft stores that we used. I made a small (4" x 4") paper box that we put the cast inside. We also used her handprints on blank newspaper for the wrapping.

I've found that the way to get the best out of one of their scribbles is to crop it waaayy down (so let him draw on a standard sheet of paper then use only 4" x 6" of that paper.)

One cute idea would be to get one of those frames that have three windows. Put DS's scribbles in one, his photo (maybe of him drawing the scribbles?) in the center, and his handprint on the far side.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

smomom
05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
last year I made DH a garden stepping stone with DS's footprint and glass beads. I plan on doing that every year. I guess eventually we'll have enough stones for a nice little garden path.

RhondaSue
05-15-2004, 05:42 PM
DD and I have made stepping stones for the past 2 Father's Days and they really do turn out cute, with relatively little clean up. I have bought the cement in small packages at a craft store and mix it up in a clean container that kitty litter comes in (then it can be thrown away). My dd has put her feet print in them and we decorate the edges different each year, once with beach stones and once with shells.

Another idea that turned out well, DH works in an advertising agency with little desk space, so framed pictures aren't practical. I had a DD snapshot put on a mouse pad (most malls have a kiosk where that can be done). If I didn't have a snapshot that I knew he would love, I would have used a handdrawn picture by DD. DH loved it!

Lucia
05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Great ideas! I think I will try to put together a book of photos of my favorite guys sharing father/son moments throughout the past year and I will try to somehow incorporate my son's drawings in the book. I had a mouse pad made for my husband earlier this year with a photo of our son and he loved it! I like the stepping stone idea and will keep that in mind for future gift giving opportunities.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

sophiesmom
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
iI did the stepping stone with my daughter too (for my husband), very cute... they sell the kits at craft stores. some other ideas:

1. a talking frame. i had gotten one of these when DD was little, i framed a picture of her and recorded her saying 'Da Da'.

2. one year i made a card: traced her hand on construction paper, then Daddy's on another color (didn't tell him why). I glued his first on front of card, then hers on top of his, then wrote on inside: 'Hands down your the best daddy around!

her new thing is picking out boxer shorts for Daddy, so this year she picked out Oreo ones! i am hoping to do the frame with my son...