PDA

View Full Version : Qs for those who unfortunately have mastitis/plug experience

miki
02-25-2004, 03:34 AM
I had been getting plugs whenever either my baby or I got sick this winter. This time it turned into mastitis. I am taking antibiotics which have definitely helped and I'm still taking lecithin 3x a day.

I start nursing with the affected side and I've been doing this since a few days ago when I first got the plug that became infected. But when is it that you are supposed to go back to alternating sides?

Also, if you are prone to this problem, what can you do when your baby sleeps more or if you decide you want to wean to bottle-feeding? I read that the engorgement can cause plugs but pumping makes your body think you still need to make the milk. But if you only pump a little, you will not have emptied that breast which is also supposed to be bad if you are prone to plugs. What to do?

hez
02-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Is the plug gone? Once the plug was really gone, and I could definitely feel the difference, I went back to switching sides.

We've only had 2 plugs and one bout of mastitis, so I can't answer the second half.

cinrein
02-25-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm prone to plugs/mastitis on one side. Once Anna started sleeping long stretches at night I found it necessary to pump before I went to bed, which was a few hours after Anna went to bed. I gradually reduced the length of the pumping sessions until I was able to skip them all together. I pumped before bed for several months. It was not fun, but getting mastitis is even worse. :(

I switching switching sides when beginning a nursing session after my 3rd round of mastitis. I just stuck with the plug-prone side first. It was the only way I could make sure that it got emptied. My other side seems to be able to take all kinds of abuse--LOL!

We're now down to just 2 BFing sessions a day, one in the AM and one before bed. The AM one is on it's way out. I didn't get any plugs (knock on wood) since we started weaning. I think it's because we didn't start to wean until Anna was 10 mos old and eating a lot of solids. At that point, I was already producing a lot less breastmilk just because Anna was gradually taking less in. I take Lethicin 2 times a day and make sure to drink a lot of water.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I can't even count how many plugs I've had, and have had mastitis 7 times. But weaning hasn't been a problem - we've done it veeerrrrry gradually. Colin has decreased his intake as he's been eating more solids, and we've dropped one nursing every couple of months. We're down to two nursings a day and I'm hoping that he'll be weaned by the end of the summer (I'm truly in no rush, just want my body back before TTC again)! Adapting to a different sleep schedule hasn't been a problem either - a couple of hours here or there (or, now, even an occasional missed nursing) doesn't cause me to get engorged, although it would have in our early months of nursing.

tina-t
02-26-2004, 06:21 PM
I hope that you are feeling better.

I am weaning ds right now and am down to 3 nursing periods per day from 6. I am prone to plugged ducts and used to get them 10 times per month. I've had one episode of mastitis. The recurrent plugged ducts was the reason that I decided to finally wean. I talked to an lc and she suggested that I do it slow. However, at the same time, ds decided to skip his 1 am feeds and for a while, I would wake up at 3 am feeling very engorged and would need to pump. My breasts slowly got used to it such that I don't need to pump at 3 am anymore but I still feel full first thing in the am. I'm also taking 3 capsules of sage 3x per day to help decrease the milk supply therefore preventing engorgement and hopefully prevent further plugged milk ducts during the weaning period. So far so good. I'm also on bcp which also helps decrease milk supply, but I'm taking it more for contraception.

Good luck!

ernmack28
03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I have had several plugged ducts. The best way to beat them before they turn into something else sounds strange, but I swear it works! Get hot water, not boiling, but pretty hot, and mix in 1 tbsp. of ginger powder. Pour it over a disposable diaper and put it to your breast until the water on the diaper cools. It will unplug the duct almost within the next hour. You may have to do it twice, but I promise it works! Can't answer the rest of your ?, but try this next time it starts up.
Good luck.