PDA

View Full Version : when you eat at places like subway, what do you feed the kiddos?

etwahl
02-23-2004, 09:50 PM
they don't really have a lot that lauren can eat just yet, do they?

or do you pack your own lunch? and if you do, what do you pack when you go out for lunch like this? what are some handy "foods to go"?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
02-23-2004, 10:10 PM
If we took Colin now, I'd feed him pieces of cheese and bread (he's not into lunchmeat, though I'd probably offer some). That would probably fill him up eventually. But in general, I always pack finger foods like raisins, cereal (Kix and Cheerios), goldfish, graham crackers and such when we are eating out. If he doesn't get a ton of nutrition at that meal, I don't worry it - it's not like we eat out so often that it is a problem.

I'd also considering trying a meatball sandwich (do they still have it on the menu?) - Colin might actually eat some of that. Colin's not a chicken fan, but I think that they also have some sandwiches with chunks or breasts of chicken. Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else...

etwahl
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
yeah, we ate there today and i was giving her black olives and hunks of bread! but that's a good point about the meatballs...i think they have they, though not sure. and i know they do have a sandwich where it's hunks of chicken. good point.

on another note, when is it safe to feed raisins? or other dried fruits?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

COElizabeth
02-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Other popular to-go items with James are snack-sized cans of diced peaches or mixed fruit in 100% juice, Clementine tangerines (in season!), and individual servings of unsweetened applesauce. Do you sense a theme? :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Momof3Labs
02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I'd say that raisins are safe for Lauren now. Other dried fruits are probably okay, too, just cut them into smaller pieces. Colin actually didn't like them at first, but just recently got hooked on them.

etwahl
02-23-2004, 11:21 PM
i recently started feeding her oranges, but i cut the sectors out (no skins). are skins okay though?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

amp
02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
We eat at sandwich places semi-regularly. DS eats bits of lunchmeat, cheese and bread. He loves all of these. As for stuff we pack to take when we eat out, we take cheerios or pureed fruit or veg mixed w/ cereal to thicken, or diced fruit (grapes are a fav), or easy to eat veggies like peas, corn, cut up green beans, etc. I just heat them before we leave and pack them in the Take & Toss containers. They stay warm in there for awhile.

mharling
02-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Bananas are also an easy take-along food.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2303.jpg Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

Marisa6826
02-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I usually get Sophie a plain turkey sandwich. You can also do a plain piece of grilled chicken and just tear it into little pieces.

Works like a charm!

-m

kransden
02-24-2004, 05:10 PM
We call dd "Ham Shark" I always keep goldfish, cheerios, and applesauce in her bag as a backup. She loves meat and cheese, but she's not wild about the bread. My local sandwich place has soup. She loves that too.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

ppshah
02-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Sachin really likes bread,mayo,cheese and sliced turkey. I feed it to him at home for lunch-I've never tried it at subway. I usually keep a jar of stage 3 food in the car in case- He prefers real food but if we're out longer than expected the jar food is great to have as back-up. I also carry cheerios with me in the diaper bag.

etwahl
02-24-2004, 08:26 PM
purvi, i never replied to your pic of diaper bag, but wanted to tell you i thought you looked great with it! it was a large, right? not an extra large? because it looked plenty big to me!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

LD92599
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Tammy:

Is that a new avatar? LOVE IT! We're always out for meals (too much!) and usually offer DS some of our meal..whether it's bits of salad bar, bread (LOVES bread!), bits of luncheon meat..or our favorite, warm pretzals in the mall or at the Costco/BJs cafe! I usually keep a bag of Cheerios, Mini pita breads, pirate booty (DS LOVES that...i wish they'd carry THAT in the warehouse stores!), etc. We leave the sticky messy stuff for when we're home.

HTH!

Laura
mom to William

etwahl
02-24-2004, 10:20 PM
laura, yes, thank you for noticing! that was a picture of lauren in the bath tonight :) they don't sell pirate or veggie bootie around here unfortunatley. next time i go to the city, i'll try and look for it!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

ppshah
02-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Tammy,

Yup it was a large. I 've used it a couple of times and love it!!!

Now if only spring would get here....

shishamo
02-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Just wanted to mention that Trader Joe's near me carries a pirate booty knockoff for like half the price. I actually prefer that to pirate booty since it's not as salty and baby friendly :)