PDA

View Full Version : tomato sauce

momma_boo
02-24-2004, 01:26 PM
When is it ok to give them tomato sauce? Last night I made pasta (I usually make some for her -- slightly mushier but plain) and she kept reaching for my bowl so I let her dip her finger in it and she liked it. Is it ok to let her have pasta with some sauce on it?
I'm not sure if it's too acidic for her.

Thanks!

amp
02-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Don't know what others do, but our DS has had pasta w/ a bit of tomato sauce on it since about 6-7 mths old. He doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

sntm
02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
usually around a year -- tomatoes are acidic and mildly allergenic. she's probably close enough. you can reduce the acidity by cooking it longer, i think (i may be making this up but it jives with my experience based on taste)

i know, we live on pasta, so keeping DS from tomatoes and wheat products knocks out half of our food.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

ppshah
02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Last night we were having lasagna- so I amke some macaroni mixed it with peas, ricotta cheese and a little tomatoe sauce ( I called it baby lasagna). He love it!!! So far no problems.

Momof3Labs
02-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Depends on your baby. Colin is pretty sensitive to acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus) and gets a horrible diaper rash from a spaghetti dinner, even when we don't give him a lot of sauce. Too bad, because he loves his sketti!!