PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies

KGoes
02-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have experience with baby reactions to food allergies? DD is allergic to something that has her breaking out in hives in her face and itchy eyes. She started medication over the weekend and yogurt. I read that a milk allergy would result in vomiting or diarrhea, which we don't have. The doctor is changing her meds - but she has been on this medication before with no reaction. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this type of reaction.
TIA
Kelley
DD born 7/03

sntm
02-23-2004, 06:07 PM
think it prob could be either, but you can definitely develop an allergy to a med, even if you have had it before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

missliss55
02-23-2004, 06:21 PM
My dd broke out in a rash and then in hives when I began mixing a milk based formula with her rice cereal at 6 months old. She is breastfeed and I was using the formula in the cereal as a way to get extra iron since their iron stores run out around 6 months. We tried rice cereal with water and no hives/rash. I then mixed a little formula and put it on her cheek. Hives. He told us no dairy till she is at least a year. We tried soy and she got a small rash, but she was also teething. She has a cold right now and once she is over it, we are going to try some soy yogurt and see how she reacts. She has no problem with me eating dairy so I am hopeful that she will be OK at a year. Hope that helps!

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

Rachels
02-24-2004, 12:17 AM
A dear friend's baby gets horrible hives when he has any milk product, so that can definitely cause it. Have you tried Benadryl to help her in the short run?

FWIW, our best source for diagnosing allergies was a naturopath. It was quick, noninvasive, and made a HUGE difference for Abigail right away.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KGoes
02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks all. Between benedryl, new antibiotics, and no more yogurt, something (or everything) worked to make the hives clear up. Hopefully the infection will be the next to go.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

drhnp
02-10-2007, 09:11 PM
My son had similar reaction with any milk base formula; even nutramigen and it lasted till he was about 15 months old. Now he is three and has no issues with any type of food.