PDA

View Full Version : Starting solid foods at 4 months?

papal
02-20-2004, 06:42 PM
I need some advice desperately.
Leela just had her 4 month immunizations. She is in the 3rd percentile for weigh (10 pounds) and 5th percentile for height (22.5inches). Neither dh or me are tall (5'3") so i guess Leela is going to be petite so I am not too concerned by the numbers (ok, i was a little sad when they showed me the graph and my baby was at the BOTTOM!!! :((( )
She can support her head really well and continues to have feedings every 3 hours (even at night... that is another issue altogether). The ped said that I can hold off on the solids for some more time but the handout they gave us (Gerber) said that you can introduce solids when baby holds head up, or doubles birth weight (not yet) or reaches 13 pounds (long way to go). Also, Leela stares at us when we eat and when i give her a frozen piece of banana or a frozen grape in the Baby Safe Feeder she seems to enjoy it.
My instinct seems to say that i need to give her some rice cereal in addition to her breast milk feedings. But the ped and the literature say to wait.... what do you think? Leela also has reflux, will that affect her ability to eat rice cereal?... i do not want to miss the window of time when she is interested in trying new foods.
I am just really confused... i guess i should wait huh?

sadie427
02-20-2004, 07:35 PM
You really should wait. The handout has those guidelines because it is made by Gerber, which makes baby food and therefore has an interest in people starting their babies on food as soon as possible. I believe the AAP now says to wait until 6 months. There's a better list of readiness, this is abridged from Ellyn Satter's book Child of Mine (which I highly recommend)--

"when your baby can take an active part in feeding, eg:
--sits up, alone or w/ support
--mouths fingers and toes
--opens his mouth when he sees sthing coming, turns head if doesn't want it, stays open if does want it
--close lips over the spoon, scrape food from spoon w/ lips"

I know it's hard to wait, I'm not sure why, but I meant to wait till 6 months and I started at about 5 1/2. But he was showing all the signs, and we have had no problems.

Her being small doesn't have much relation to starting solids as far as I know--breastmilk/formula has way more calories/oz than anything else you'd give her.

HTH

starrynight
02-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I have heard from friends with reflux babies that rice cereal helped them keep food down if it was fed right before or after a bottle. Maybe you could give her a tiny bit watered down with some bm right before or after a feeding once a day or so?

As for when to start solids between 4-6 months is okay but since she is on the tiny side already you might want to keep her on just bm or bm and the rice cereal for a bit longer. If she gets too many solids she will cut down on her bm intake and that has the calories and fats she needs more than the food right now. The AAP leans towards 6 months more now but some docs still recommend 4-6. The doc didn't tell you, just gave you a handout? I'm surprised since my dd's ped actually brought up when to start, we are slowly introducing a few things in the upcoming weeks. Eliza will be 5 months next week,food allergies run in the family so we are waiting and going slowly.

What was her height and weight at birth? Usually waiting until they double birth weight is a good idea but some kids do that very early so that isn't the only reason to start or the only reason to wait. Eliza doubled her birth weight at 2 months, no way I was starting solids that early LOL.

Rachels
02-20-2004, 09:47 PM
The advice to wait is sound. Early introduction of solids can lead to allergies and all kinds of GI troubles. I introduced solids a little before 6 months with my babe, and will never do that again. She had a tough time, and her reflux went through the roof. Babies don't NEED solids in the first year, and it's fine for your little one to be on the low end of the chart. Somebody has to be. :) Remember that the Gerber lit is written by people trying to sell you baby food.

Here's a link that may help you. I wish I had seen it when my baby was littler.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

todzwife
02-20-2004, 10:07 PM
My ped actually suggested we start Dallin on solids NOW! I told him DH has LOTS of allergies and I want to avoid them if I can and so he suggested starting at 5 months- which I probably won't...I want to wait. I am just as confused...and our ped didn't help things. Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone! LOL!

egoldber
02-20-2004, 10:11 PM
If you decide to introduce Leela to solids, don't do it in the hopes that it will help her gain weight. It is actually likely to do the opposite. Solids have far fewer calories per ounce than breastmilk or formula. So any solid feedings that she adds that replace either of those is actually going to be decreasing her total calorie intake.

If you are petite, you can expect that Leela will likely be the same. If your ped was concerned about her weight, she would probably recommend more liquids, not solids.

And please don't trust that Gerber worksheet. Their goal is to get you using their food early and often! You're better off following Leela's lead.

I'm a huge fan of Ellyn Satter's book. If you wanted to borrow my copy, I'd be happy to loan it to you.

HTH,

sntm
02-21-2004, 06:05 PM
rashmi,
ITA with everything already posted -- just wanted to tell you i love the new avatar! she looks so cute!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

papal
02-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your advice ladies. I will wait for another 2 months before i introduce solids. Rachel, thanks for the link.. it was really informative. Beth.. thanks for the book suggestion.. i will pick it up at my library on Monday (along with Weissbluth).
Shandelle, hope Dallin is feeling better... did you visit the link that Rachel suggested? It has a lot of useful information.. and if your dh has allergies, delaying solids till at least 6 months would be the best way to go (according to what i read on the link). Shannon, thanks! I took that picture before i trimmed Leela's hair for the first time. She is all oiled up after her massage. We all should get together sometime.. i want to see everybodys babies!!!

houseof3boys
02-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Rashmi I am glad you decided to wait on starting Leela on solids. I think you are doing the right thing.

It seems like a huge deal now, but in 2 months I think you'll be happy that you waited. :)

zahara
02-23-2004, 03:05 PM
hello
i have baby boy, zane, born oct. 6, 2003. he's in the 25% for weight - 13 lbs, 2 oz. although he's not as small as little leela, i starting giving him some rice cereal in his bottle at night - 1 tablespoon per 2 oz. i made the nipple on his bottle using a clean knife. he loved it and was able to take about twice as much as he usually does. he also slept much better at night. it was my pediatrician that had suggested this practice, so we felt comfortable, but some might disagree!

lizajane
02-23-2004, 04:31 PM
i think many of us are wary of this practice because it can cause choking, among other things. i am sure you are aware of the risks, and you and your ped discussed them. if anyone else wants to try this idea, i would just encourage you to speak to your ped. my research led me to believe that it was not a good idea. but i do not have a reflux baby, so i can't speak to that issue.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
I think this is one of those things that might be a good idea to look up in the AAP book. I'm pretty sure that ped is not following the latest AAP suggestions. I don't have a reflux baby either, so I don't know what it says about that.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Pkutniewski
02-23-2004, 07:14 PM
>I'm a huge fan of Ellyn Satter's book. If you wanted to
>borrow my copy, I'd be happy to loan it to you.
>
>HTH,

Which book by Ellen Satter are you refering to please? My DS is 4 months old as of 2/22/04 and is in the 97th+ percentile (18 1/2 lbs and 27" tall) for both height and weight. He is strictly breastfed and my MIL keeps telling me I need to supplement him. I tell her he got this big on breastmilk and that he is fine. I would like her to read this book though! My ped told us we should wait until 6 or 7 months to give him solids though as he has eczema and may have a sensetivity to solids, I guess. I would still like a book to do some research with though. Thanks!
Phoebe

egoldber
02-23-2004, 09:01 PM
The book is called "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense".

HTH,

egoldber
02-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, there's a lot of debate about this, even among pediatric gastroenterologists. Some are real believers in this and some are not convinced that the benefits outweight the risks. I would personally only do it under the advice of a pediatric gastro, rather than a "regular" ped who may not be up on the latest research on reflux.

sntm
02-24-2004, 10:21 AM
if you (or MIL!) like numbers, keep in mind that BM and formula have about 24 calories per ounce. Baby food has usually between 12.5 and 20 calories per ounce and is not nutritionally complete, usually lacking fat and the full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. BM is perfectly balanced in terms of nutrients.

Introducing solids too early usually results in a decrease in the amount of BM or formula taken in, so overall, calories/nutrients usually decrease, not increase.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sntm
02-24-2004, 10:22 AM
ITA. Studies are not convincing one way or the other.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

missmelis01
10-09-2004, 10:34 PM
My DS was diagnosed with severe reflux at 3 months, and my ped said that a couple tspns of cereal in the BM helps "weigh" it down, subsequently minimizing the reflux. However, my DH and I didn't think it was necessary to give our son cereal, and his reflux was treated successfully with Zantac alone.

After talking to a couple of friends whose babies were also dx with reflux, though, I am finding that the recommened course of treatment is very ped-dependent. Ultimately, you as the parents have to do what feels right, at least that policy as worked best for my DH and me!