PDA

View Full Version : What does your baby keep down when her tummy is upset?

KGoes
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
To cap off our recent ailments, DD seems to have contracted the stomach virus making the rounds at daycare. Beyond pedialyte, which she does not like, I am wondering what to feed her that might soothe her stomach. What has worked for the wondeful moms here?
We only just started solids, so her experience is limited to fruits and veggies. Beyond that, she's BF.
From the bottom of my sleep-deprived-first-time-mom-anxiety-ridden-heart, TIA!!
Kelley
DD born 7/03

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Breastmilk!! When Colin had the stomach flu, the ped wanted me to keep on bf'ing him, and he survived a week on almost exclusive breastmilk (pretty amazing at 15 months of age) with no dehydration or anything!

When she is ready to tackle some solids, the BRAT diet is good for babies with diarrhea - bananas, rice, applesauce and/or toast. We offered Cheerios, too, figuring that they were close enough to toast.

amp
02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
When DS was throwing up (it wasn't constant, just a time or two a day), we made sure to give him some Pediatlyte. We also switched to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice cereal, applesauce & toast), which he was better able to keep down than any other foods. It got boring, but it worked.

Hope she feels better soon! Hugs!

nitaghei
02-25-2004, 04:05 PM
What Lori said. DS was sick a few weeks ago, and he hates Pedialyte. We just stuck to BF'g exclusively for 24 hours before doing the BRAT thing. No solids at all. It freaked out DH (who doesn't exactly get the whole BF'g thing) - but it worked. No dehydration, and DS was back to normal the next day. And I only missed 1 day of work.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

MartiesMom2B
02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
When Martie had a stomach virus I found that even the BRAT diet would upset her stomach so I just nursed her. When she was still actively throwing up, I'd nurse her for 5 minutes every 45 minutes. Just so that she would get enough to eat, but no too much at a time. I also dug out all of her blankets and layed them all over the floor so that if she threw up, it would be on a blanket that I could stick in the washer instead of dragging out the carpet cleaner.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03