PDA

View Full Version : I find this feeding product bizarre and disturbing - on Oprah

toomanystrollers
02-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Take a look: http://www.gabrielfeedingpad.com/

Maybe it's just me :) My life's hectic with three on the loose, but I wouldn't consider using one of these - Just my opinion!

Edited to add: I suppose this product could be quite useful for multiples.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Looking at the picture, it looks kind of like the way breastfeeding goes. Attaching a bottle to hang off your chest isn't much different from a boob hanging there, is it? (as far as positioning goes anyway)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lerlerler
02-25-2004, 06:10 PM
kinda oogie in my opinion unless there is a medical reason you can't hold the baby.

convinient? sure... but it doesn't feel right

toomanystrollers
02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
How 'bout "weird" instead of disturbing - I guess the demo on Oprah freaked me out more - making babies look so "inconvient" IYKWIM?

deborah_r
02-25-2004, 06:22 PM
It seems like a waste of money to me, along with any number of products we have come up with to "save time". Just a personal opinion, but what is so difficult about holding the bottle and the baby and actually looking at and focusing on the baby while feeding?

slknight
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't know; it looks really weird to me!

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

Rachels
02-25-2004, 06:45 PM
I had the same reaction. Weird. If you're going to go to all that trouble, uh, why not just go for the boobs?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

toomanystrollers
02-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking of all the new moms & moms-to-be who watch Oprah but have yet to discover our little community here who will probably run out and buy this contraption - looks like such a waste of $$. I know I have a small collection of useless baby gearpurchased before I found you all :)

JenCA
02-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Thank you! What is so hard about taking a few minutes to not answer the phone, get off the computer, etc. and focus on your child while feeding? I don't get it.

papal
02-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Deborah.. you stole the words from my mouth.The thing was ugly.. and you are supposed to wash the whole dang thing everytime the baby spits up? PLEASE!!!! And WHY can't you just HOLD the darn bottle. Who are these people who are that busy!!! I was just mad looking at the thing. I wonder if the inventors had any babies.

MartiesMom2B
02-25-2004, 09:00 PM
It's also meant to be a cover up for breastfeeding, but I personally don't go for huge coverups. To me I might as well hang a neon sign saying "Hey I'm breastfeeding over here". Maybe it would be good for a dad to give EBM to a baby with this device, but in my experience DD would only get more angry if we tried to fool her into taking a bottle.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Imperia
02-26-2004, 04:06 AM
I saw something on Ebay that was even worse once. It was a flexible arm thing to which you could attatch a bottle and then just leave Basically, a device which allowed you to "bottle prop" (obviously this is dangerous and can cause aspiration). Even if for some reason I wasn't able to breast feed I wouldn't use something which to me takes away from the physical contact between mother and child. When I BF my DD I try to focus (at least most of the time) on her. I love looking at her face and stroking her cheeks while she nurses. To me it's a special moment for us to be bonding; I am sure plenty of mothers who feed with a bottle feel the same way. I don't want equipment getting between us!

This isn't the one I saw. but look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382217884&category=20414

Or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381683098&category=20402

"Hands free feeding!" disturbs me to no end. A baby is not a pet for goodness sakes.

Imperia