PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Frozen Breast Milk

chlobo
02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Last Saturday I went to run errands and my husband watched the baby. He gave her two bottles of frozen breast milk while I was gone (there were a lot of errands). When I got home he mentioned to me that one of the bottles was "lumpy" even after it defrosted. He said the baby drank it without complaint so he wasnt worried. However, later in the day the baby was spitting up a lot and also had some diaper rash.

My question is:

Do you think the milk was bad? Would the baby have eaten it if it was bad? Or do you think that maybe there was something in the milk that I had eaten at that time that was bothering her and caused the rash and spit up.

The only other thing I'll add is that I think by getting two very full bottles she was probably drinking more than she would have from my breasts had I been home.

Thanks in advance for your help.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-25-2004, 10:02 PM
It's normal for frozen breastmilk to look lumpy even after thawed and warmed. The proteins in it clump up, so you see white lumps. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with it.

I have read that a baby will not drink spoiled milk, and that has been true for Logan. We had a bottle that sat out too long or something and she was refusing to drink it even though she was clearly hungry. The babysitter said she smelled it and it was spoiled.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Rachels
02-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Karen's right. Spoiled milk is unbelievably rancid, and a baby won't drink it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

chlobo
02-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Well that's a relief. I'm guessing the spitting up was from the amount she drank in two sittings, which was more than normal. And the rash must have been from something I had eaten.