PDA

View Full Version : need a little support...bad day :(

SeekerMage
02-26-2004, 04:20 AM
"sigh"....not a good day on this end. and now Im just realizing the boards are different...sorry for double post! Im thinking we both have thrush....I have a bad cold and I think Lil'bits ear infection is back or she is picking up my cold as well. My mom is not being supportive at all (dont know why I even told her about the thrush etc) and she keeps trying to get me to wean her and quit nursing since she feels Im just giving her my germs and we will keep giving the thrush back and forth. I really want to keep nursing but I dont like her being sick and feel bad that Im the one making her sick! She was fighting and crying when she ate this evening and it breaks my heart because we have finally gotten comfortable nursing, or so I thought. ARG!...just not a good day. I know its good to nurse her...but am I really making her sick etc. Sigh...positive thoughts please! Thanks all :(

Rachels
02-26-2004, 06:01 AM
Hang in there! By nursing, you're protecting her from getting sicker, because she's getting your antibodies. The best thing you can do for her if you're sick is nurse! As for thrush, it's tough but treatable.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html

This too shall pass. Hugs!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

barbarhow
02-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Kathryn-Hang in there. You poor thing. And I am so sorry that your Mom isn't being supportive. It is hard enough to do what we do-you'd think that when we need a Mom to mother us she could rise to the occasion. My mom, too had all sorts of suggestions for weaning before I was ready.
We suffered with thrush for several weeks. The support that I got here on the boards got me through it. WE have now been nursing almost 11 months-and no desire to give it up anytime soon. Hang in there-I promise it will get better.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

sntm
02-26-2004, 10:20 AM
kathryn,

you poor thing! my mom was similar -- afterwards, she told me it was just because I am still her baby and she didn't like seeing me upset and struggling.

you are definitely not making her sick. she was exposed to those germs when you were. you are giving her good antibodies and the best nutrition to help her fight the infections.

see someone soon if you think it is thrush so you can get treated. best of luck, sweetie -- you are doing such a great job and just remember, everything happens as two steps forward, one step back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

ak_becky_book
02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry you have been having issues with thrush. My daughter and I had a couple rounds of it. I did try the dr. prescribed stuff. But, it was a pain in the tush (who wants to wipe ointment off before feeding the hungry child).

So I tried the genitian violet that is mentioned in that resource I saw in your second response. It really works, and fast. It is messy, I would wear disposable nursing pads to protect your bras (unless they are already purple). It always took about 3 days (for really bad cases go 4 days), but Sam and I were both thrush free by then. To use it I would paint the nipple (with a qtip) and use a q tip that had just a little of it to put in Sam's mouth. The cool thing is you don't have to wash it off before feeding your youngen (it actually gives them a diluted dose to continue treatment), and it is alot quicker. The bad thing is having purple mouth baby, and potential clothing stains for both you and baby. Sam would get it all around her mouth from the area that was not in her mouth (she would also drool purple right after I put it in her mouth).

But, I totally recommend it for thrush. It was inexpensive and so much easier.

Good Luck.

Rebecca
Mom to Samantha
12/1/02

amywein
02-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Make sure that both of you are treated at the same time. All other things that can be boiled or tosssed-- do-- paci's, bottles etc. They can be causing it too-- not just you. You are giving her the best. Hang in there. Also-- if you need to do bottles for a bit during the day to get a break-- it;s ok. Breast feeding needs to be enjoyable to BOTH of you!!!