PDA

View Full Version : Question for Veggie Moms

ncmommy
02-26-2004, 11:32 AM
We've been vegetarian (lacto-ovo) for several years, and would prefer to raise DS veggie as well. But now that we are experimenting with table foods (DS is 12 months) I've found that most of what we eat isn't really baby friendly - at least I don't think so - we eat a lot of spicy foods - ther veggie moms out there...what do you feed your toddlers? Any recipe ideas? I'm thinking that maybe we need to adjust our weekly menu.
Thanks!

nitaghei
02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Honestly, spicy is not a problem for most kids. DS actually prefers my spicy Indian food and will eat more of it than something more bland. Having said that, this is some of the stuff he eats that is relatively bland, and easy to prepare.

Eggs - scrambled or omlettes. Again, he eats more if I actually put some black pepper or cayenne in there. What can I say - he's my son.

Steamed veggies. One of my short cuts is to buy the organic frozen veggies that are already mixed (Cascadian farm has a great stir-fry mix). After steaming, I add some butter and a tiny, tiny bit of salt. These veggies are typically cut into the right size for a toddler to self feed without a spoon. I also nuke squash, and cut it up in small pieces and add a little butter. DS loves sweet potatoes cooked in butter and brown sugar (a little sugar goes a long way - I use 1/2 teaspoon for a large sweet potato that he eats over 3 meals). I add butter to all his veggies, to get some fat in. DS will eat pretty much any vegetable cooked Indian style (think lots of cayenne) and I cook with olive or canola oil (good fats).

Recently, he's started eating cheese. I shave of pieces and give it to him to feed himself.

Other time savers - the Gardenburger meatless meatballs. DS LOVES these - and will eat 5 in a sitting (6 is an adult serving).

Falafel - I make tiny patties for him, and break them into 2 for him to feed himself.

Hummus on small pieces of pita

Buttered whole wheat toast cut into fingers.

Tofu cut into small squares. DS actually prefers the stuff with the spicy sauce from our stir-fry.

Any kind of beans - he will feed himself kidney beans, black beans, navy beans etc. Just cook them soft.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

ncmommy
02-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks Nita! I'll be sure to try some of your suggestions! I'm looking for another good vegetarian cookbook....is there one you would suggest??
Robin

nitaghei
03-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been off the boards for a few days, and I forgot about this thread. I really don't have any one cookbook. Most of my cooking is Indian food, and I pretty much make it up as I go, while following general guidelines I learned from my mother and grandmother. I know - not helpful. One American style vegetarian cookbook I do like is the Moosewood Cookbook - the revised version. I used it a lot for baking. It's pretty popular - every time I lend it out, I never get it back. I've lost 3 copies so far, and I need to replace the last one. Other than that, I found that Mexican, Chinese and Italian food can be adapted quite easily to leave out the meat. One resource I discovered recently is the the Food Network website - www.foodtv.com, I think. Lots of recipes there - and it's free!

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

wendmatt
03-04-2004, 03:30 AM
I'm a bit of a boring eater! Emily loves veggie chikn nuggets, the basil pizza burgers, chikn patties and now she has more teeth the grillers prime veggie burger. I just microwave them and chop them up....great finger food. I'm a veggie and so have loads of veggie burgers in the freezer and they are so quick and easy. I Add yams or noodles and a veg (depending on her mood if she'll eat it!)She won't eat potatoes! She also likes pasta. I cook up whole wheat mac noodles, freeze a batch and then take some out and grate cheese or add tomato sauce or cooked chopped veggies (she won't eat many veg so this is a good way to disguise them!)with a bit of cheese. She liked the stuffed pasta shells too we had the other night. DH is not veg but Emily doesn't care much for meat even though I said I wouldn't bring her up veggie, she seems to be going this way!
Lots of people here like to give tofu, Em's just spits it out!! If I think of anything else I'll let you know (sleepy brain not working so well!)
If your ds will eat spicy, great let him go for it.