PDA

View Full Version : I hate the stupid "splat mat"- is there something better?

jubilee
02-27-2004, 05:06 AM
I put a splat mat under the highchair but it keeps getting crumpled, is hard to vacuum around, and frankly looks tacky. Anyone have a better idea to keep the carpet around the highchair from getting stained? We have off-white carpet (I didn't pick it out, it was put in just before we bought the house)

AngelaS
02-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I use an off white sheet folded up to fit the space under/around the high chair. After a couple of meals, I take it out and shake it and either refold it or wash it. :D

sntm
02-27-2004, 10:25 AM
we use a hard plastic mat like the kind under chairs in offices. DH's assistant got a new one so we got her old one. It's not terribly attractive but being clear at least it blends.

something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/23lrd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
I think the cheap plastic look of Sesame Street goes great with our decor ;)

I hear ya on this. I find myself dumping out the contents of the mat and folding it up when I vacuum. It's a big pain in the rear.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

hellokitty1
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
I too am frustrated with the "mat". It doesn't lay flatso when I wheel the high chair around it gets stuck, etc. So I haven't tried this but what about using contact paper, for non-carpeted surfaces of course? This way you can vaccuum over it, even run the mop over it.

What do you think?

emmasmama
02-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I saw one at landofnod.com that was oil cloth instead of that plastic stuff... I haven't actually seen it IRL, but it looked pretty cute - bright colors - and I would think the oilcloth would be more "sturdy" than the plastic because it's a heavier weight.

After seeing this in their catalog, I think I'm just going to make my own. Oilcloth is cheap and you can get it at Joann fabrics. I'm pretty sure you don't have to finish the edges on it either so you can probably just buy as much as you think you need in a pattern you find appealing and cut it so it's just right for your spot. Joann frequently sends me 50% coupons in the mail (good on a single item, including cuts of fabric), but if you don't receive these (think I signed up at some point), I'm pretty sure you can print them off their web site and use at the store.

HTH!

zuzu
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
I have one (but not from Land of Nod) that is acrylic coated cotton and it stays in place really well. We have only used it on wood and ceramic tile floors though, so I'm not sure how well it would stay on carpet. The fun, bright colors don't really match everything else in our kitchen nor dining room, but then again, neither does the highchair!

I like the idea of using a clear desk chair mat.

Good luck!
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

houseof3boys
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Here is the link to an upcoming coupon .....

http://www.joann-mail.com/J0143/forward_coupon50.html

HTH!

jubilee
02-28-2004, 05:45 AM
I have a plastic computer chair mat, as a few suggested, that I will try. If that doesn't work I'll look into the oil cloth. What great suggestions, I knew you'd all come up with something better!

sdbc
02-29-2004, 01:44 PM
A Golden Retriever works GREAT for cleaning up food spills. No mat needed!! :)

essnce629
07-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm taking care of another baby full time so I needed something big enough to cover the area under and around two highchairs. At first I was using one of those cheap vinyl table cloths with the felt backing, but I spilled some CRL on it and it shredded up in the wash, so know I just lay out a twin size sheet under them at each meal, shake the crumbs and junk outside after they're done, and then just fold it up and put it away until the next meal. Then, every few days I just throw it in the wash and don't have to worry about it tearing or falling apart. Perfect solution and it was free-- I just used one of our old sheets lying around the house :).

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

miki
07-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Or 2 cocker spaniels! The food sometimes doesn't even hit the floor!