PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Bug

kfcboston
02-27-2004, 08:53 AM
My DS has had some sort of stomach bug the past couple days. He stopped throwing up quickly after I switched his diet to water/pedialyte only, and seemed to handle his soy formula and pureed solids well once I reintroduced them. However, about 36 hours later, I THINK upon reintro. of real solids, back up they came. The really odd things are that a) he's NOT vomitting right after eating - it's hours later, and b) he's happy as a clam - no fever or fussiness.

Any one have any thoughts or experience to share? TIA!!

amp
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't really have any expertise on this...just one experience. DS had a stomach bug and threw up. Switched him to BRAT diet and he barely ate any, but kept it down. Kept that diet up for a day or so, and since he seemed improved by keeping food down and perking up behavior-wise, intro'd regular diced food, etc. Bad idea. Up it came about an hour or more later. Twice this happened, so this time we went back to the Brat diet for several days instead of one or two. Boring! But it worked. No more vomiting.

Hope he feels better soon!

kfcboston
02-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Andrea - what's the BRAT diet? Sounds like it was a similar situation to this. We're headed to the ped this morning to rule out his ears. He just seems a lot more hungry/fussy this morning than on Wed. when he barely was fed. Hmmmmmm.........we'll find out I hope.

Thanks!

emmasmama
02-27-2004, 11:41 AM
We are experiencing the exact same thing! DD threw up Monday night, like an hour after dinner, profusely. So all next day I just gave her pedialyte and she seemed fine, so I switched to 1/2pedialyte/1/2 formula and that seemed fine too. On Wednesday I reintroduced solids, which she didn't eat much of, but did fine all day, until Wednesday night when she threw up her whole dinner in the middle of the night. Yesterday we were back to pedialyte and pedia/form mixture and she was fine all day, except for a little bit of diarrhea. She threw up her bedtime bottle (all formula, bad idea) in the middle of the night again.

She seemed totally normal with everything besides eating all week, but today was really cranky in the morning, and she's still off on eating, so I don't know what's up?!

I should also mention that I'm sure it's a stomach virus because I came down with it Wednesday (my DH had to leave work) and was down for the count all day yesterday. It wasn't pretty.

I thought these things usu cleared up faster than this, but maybe it's the dreaded "72-hr stomach virus" that Dr Sears mentions?

Hope you guys are feeling better soon!

chrissyhowie
02-27-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm not Andrea, but I can tell you what the BRAT diet is. Brat stands for:

B ananas
R ice
A pplesauce
T oast

It's often recommended when people have gastroenteritis because they are all easy to digest foods.

My DD's going through the same thing right now too with vomiting and diarrhea. Darn stomach bugs! I hope everyone's babes recover soon!

HTH,

KGoes
02-27-2004, 02:42 PM
I feel your stomach bug pain - DD is in the diarrhea stage of the bug that is going around here. Once she could keep down pedialyte, I gradually moved to BM, but I would give her a couple ounces of pedialyte first. FWIW, we used the unflavored pedialyte, since the flavored kind made her gag. From there we progressed to apples mixed with rice cereal. So far, so good.
Hugs to you and hoping your DS feels better soon!
Kelley
DD born 7/03

amp
02-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I've posted the foods for BRAT so many times...I'm not sure why I didn't this time. Oops! Glad Chrissy could answer before I got back here. Hope it works!

marinkitty
02-27-2004, 09:16 PM
This sounds a lot like what DD has - they said gastroenteritis. She was in the ER for an IV yesterday she got so dehydrated. They told me do clear fluids (unflavored Pedialyte is what we've been using), then a day of 1/2 strength formula, then a day of formula, then the BRAT diet for several days. We did clear fluids Monday, formula Tuesday and tried oatmeal and applesauce Wed. a.m. and she couldn't keep a thing down (even Pedialyte) from Wed. a.m. till yesterday evening. Today she kept all the Pedialyte down and we are doing 1/2 strength formula (she is on Nutramigen -otherwise they would have had us switch to soy). I feel for you - this is really the worst thing to see her go through! Hope your DS gets better soon.
Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)