PDA

View Full Version : What to do with freebie formula?

papal
02-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I got some free formula samples at the hospital. Their expiration date is soon coming up (July). I feel bad throwing them out knowing somebody could use them. Do you know if anyone would accept these? I have the Similac Advance Powder and Enfamil Lipil Concentrate (3 cans).
I also have the Similac Advance liquid formula also.. 2 ounce bottles.

Momof3Labs
02-27-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm sure that your local food pantry or women's shelter would love to have them!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-28-2004, 01:23 AM
I couldn't find any local food banks who would accept formula. One told me they don't need it because the people they help get free formula from WIC. Another told me they were not allowed to take it, but didn't know why.

So I returned it to WalMart, got store credit, and bought breastmilk storage bags. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jubilee
02-28-2004, 05:42 AM
I gave some to my church which has a food pantry for anyone in need.

jbowman
02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
At the university where I teach I give samples of formula & all of the coupons that I receive in the mail to a student who donates them to her church and some needy friends. It seems like such a waste to let the formula & coupons expire!

LucyG
02-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Try a homeless shelter (that serves families), a women's shelter, or a children's shelter. Or, as someone else pointed out, food banks are a great place to donate. I have a ton to get rid of, myself. We nursed (and still are), but I saved the formula until DD was a year old in case we needed to use it.

lizajane
02-28-2004, 02:55 PM
our church is collecting formula right now for a crisis center. it is the hot item needed. if you can't find anything to do with them, i will pay shipping to donate them to our church.

papal
02-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Liza.. i found a shelter for battered women in my area and they are willing to accept it. thanks for all your input girls. i am glad i do not have to throw it out. i know it can be pretty expensive.

calebsmama03
02-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Karen -
That's pretty clever. All mine were marked "sample" though :( Glad you got something good out of it! I finally unloaded mine on a co-worker with an 8-week old.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

jmofarrill
02-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I donated mine to the local crisis pregnancy center. I was also able to donate disposable diapers (both unopened and opened packages), some baby care items, and some clothes to the center.

farsk
02-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Hello!

You may want to also try an organization that helps place adopted babies since they are not able to receive their mother's milk.

Good Luck!