PDA

View Full Version : For those who did the "4 day wait rule" with solids...

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 03:01 AM
how long did you do that? I've got this whole list of foods I am trying to get through and it just seems to take forever!! DS has not shown signs of any allergies so far and we've tried:

rice cereal
oatmeal
barley
peas
carrots
pears
green beans
bananas
apples
squash
sweet potatoes
white potato
tofu
yogurt
egg yolk
prunes
mango
avocado
cheerios
a little sample of cheddar cheese

houseof3boys
02-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I know that I read a more detailed explanation of this, but on the Dr. Sears site http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp it mentions the introduction of highly allergenic until 18 months old and "By twelve months of age, your child's intestines are mature enough to screen out most of the food allergens. (See Starting Solid Foods)".

I'll try to find the answer but I'm sure one of the more experienced moms will answer before I locate it!

I want to keep giving Ryan new stuff too but I don't want to introduce too much and then be concerned what it was that might have affected him. Our lists are very similar on the foods that Kai and Ryan have tried, LOL!

Btw, his favorite new veggie that we tried the other day is zucchini!!!! I mix it with his cereal and a little ricotto cheese and that is a gourmet dinner for him. :)

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I tried to buy organic zucchini the other day and there wasn't any :(

Should we try all of the different cheeses separately - like is riccotta cheese a whole different thing than a cheddar?

JElaineB
02-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I gave up the the 3-4 day rule when he was about 9 months old. I just ended up throwing new foods at him left and right at that point! Mostly because some of the foods I wanted to give him were a mixture of different things and impossible to stick with one new thing at a time. I did still wait 3-4 days for a few additional highly allergenic foods around his 1st bday though (fish, egg whites, strawberries). Luckily we haven't had any problems.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

houseof3boys
02-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I counted ricotta as a different cheese than cheddar. But I would count cheddar, mozzerella, gouda or whatever as the same "food". It is the way it is processed is what I figured!

The zucchini was so easy to just poke holes in it and pop it in the microwave for 7 minutes (I think) and I flipped it once during cooking. Then I just pureed it and voila! I couldn't believe how he gobbled it up. :)

mom2kandj
02-29-2004, 07:36 AM
You really should stick to 4 days if Kai(or anyone in the family) has a history of allergies(any allergies, food, drug, grasses, animals, etc), eczema or asthma. Because we have major history in our family we did new foods for SEVEN days and we still didn't finish until at least age one for both kids! Also, we are still a nut free family because I'm terrified of a reaction! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00(allergic to dairy, eggs, oranges, blue food dye, cats, dogs, and horses)
& Jack 04/16/02(sensitive to dairy)