PDA

View Full Version : Soup?

ralu
02-29-2004, 12:12 AM
When did you start feeding your baby soup? How do you feed it? What kinds of soup do your babies prefer?

I tried it a few times using baby spoons, but my DS wasn't too enthusiastic. And the amount he actually got was really small...

TIA,
Raluca

August Mom
02-29-2004, 01:10 AM
I think we started giving it to DS at around 10 months. I think that you could serve it as early as your child can handle its consistency (i.e. if it's a pureed soup, earlier; if it's a chunky soup, later). DS's favorite soups are chili and chicken chili. That surprised me, but those are the ones that DH and I eat the most of, so I guess it follows because DS generally wants to try what we have. Also, he is especially fond of beans, and there are plenty of those in the chili. If broth is a problem, you can always drain it off and just serve the solids of the soup. I let DS use his toddler spoon to eat his soup.

calebsmama03
02-29-2004, 01:25 AM
I let DS eat soup with me when we eat out, but we try to avoid it as much as possible (especially canned ones) because they're so high in sodium.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Marisa6826
02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, I actually started feeding Sophie soup when she got her first cold at about 7 months. I made homemade chicken soup, strained it through coffee filters and put it in her bottle. She loved it and she was better the next day!

I usually give her a taste of whatever I'm eating, so she's gotten quite a bit of soup and is crazy about it. From cream of mushroom to won-ton to French Onion! She will usually take sips off my spoon. How much she actually gets is negotiable - how well she wants to take it and how hungry I am ;)

I haven't given her a "bowl" of soup simply for no other reason than the fact that she gets all of her food served to her either on a table top or on her highchair tray ;)

Have fun with it!!

-m