PDA

View Full Version : "extended nursing" and pumping...

calebsmama03
02-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Just wondering if any of you mamas nursing past a year still pump? I work 3 days/week and pump every 3 hours while there (DS still takes 3 bottles at the sitters). I hate, hate HATE pumping but he still nurses 6 times per day, so I feel I should probably continue pumping to keep my supply good and to keep me comfy during my work day. I'm wondering how other mamas handle pumping past a year?
Thanks!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

farsk
02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Hello!

Bumping this up, because I want to know, too!

amywein
02-29-2004, 11:13 AM
I guess it depends on what you want to do. I, too work 3 days per week and wanted for a while to continue to nurse exclusively at home on my days off with my 1st. Therefore-- I did need to continue pumping. If you want to wean to just morning and night nursing-- then you can eliminate pumping at work. Some people also just decrease the interval and take off the whole lot at the end of their day. I don't think it's quite as good for keeping the supply up, but then again-- it's a compromise. HTH

LucyG
02-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I am dealing with this same issue right now. My DD turned a year old last week, and we are still nursing (usually between 4-6 times per day). I work four hours each weekday morning, and usually pump once while at work. She takes one bottle of EBM while at the sitter's house, but I hope to transition her to a cup of EBM rather than that bottle in the near future. I have a large freezer supply of milk, so I am probably going to stop pumping at work in the next week or so. I'll still carry the pump with me to begin with, in case I am particularly full and need relief on some days. I imagine my supply will adjust fairly quickly. It did within a few days when I cut out my bedtime pumping session last month.

I know your situation is different since you work full days, but maybe you could gradually cut down on the pumping until you are just doing it once per day at work. I don't know if you are using whole milk yet, or if you are pumping to supply all the milk he drinks while you are gone. If you are planning to introduce cow's milk or soy milk soon, you could do that in conjunction with decreasing your pumping. If you are nursing him on the days you are home, I think your supply will adjust and remain adequate for his needs.

Good luck! I am interested to see the responses you get.

sntm
03-01-2004, 12:05 PM
I don't mind pumping that much (it's a nice opportunity to relax and recharge and read the boards). I work from about 8:00 to 5:00 M-F and am still pumping 3x a day. I plan to drop to 2x a day in another month or two. I'll probably continue to pump once a day once he turns one. All this depends on how often he is still nursing -- I am predicting he will be one to go down to nursing just at night and maybe before naps (at least while awake -- at night, all bets are off!) I have a big freezer stash also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03