PDA

View Full Version : Are there whole wheat pancake mixes that aren't scary?

jubilee
03-01-2004, 12:12 AM
I picked up a whole wheat mix by "Bob's Red Mill" and tried it this morning for DS. It was scary- it was GRAY when I mixed it up. Not a little gray, but dark gray. I was ready to throw out the batter, but DH said he'd try a pancake. He liked it, so I made them for him and Logan. They turn out dark brown like Rye bread. I know my problem is just visual, but Logan didn't seem thrilled with them like he is with Bisquick pancakes. Any suggestions on other mixes or are they all the same?

calebsmama03
03-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Don't know about mixes, but it's super easy to make whole wheat pancakes from scratch. We do this every weekend and freeze them for use later in the week. All you need is who;le wheat flour, baking powder, a little brown sugar, milk and eggs. I like knowing exactly what's in them, especially when its almost as easy to make from scratch as from a box mix.

We did try a "Krusteaz" honey wheat mix a while back, but I think the main ingredient was regular flour, so we started making our own.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

toomanystrollers
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
We use "Hodgson's Mill" whole wheat mix (looks brown) and Trader Joe's Buttermilk mix.

HTH

billysmommy
03-01-2004, 10:52 AM
how much of each do you use? I have tried and tried to make my own but can't seem to get the right proportions :(

mharling
03-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Julie -
I made your whole wheat pancakes yesterday (that you posted in Tammy's thread) and they were delicious. I was thinking about mixing up a double or triple batch of the dry ingredients and keeping it in the freezer. I would just need to figure out the proportion of the wet ingredients based on how much mix I take out at a time. So I guess I'm suggesting your own mix! :)

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

jubilee
03-01-2004, 04:18 PM
FUnny that I haven't even tried that reciepe! I actually was going to buy the ingrediants, but saw the mix and was excited about it instead. LOL, I guess I have to go back to the store for whole wheat flour!

calebsmama03
03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I'll check my recipe at home and post.

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03