PDA

View Full Version : Tofu Question

zuzu
03-01-2004, 12:14 PM
After reading about how some of your babies enjoyed tofu, I got some this weekend. But how should I prepare it for DD? Can I just cut it into small cubes and let her eat it, or do I need to cook it first? When I prepare it for myself I've pressed it and either stir fried or baked it, but didn't know if could also be eaten raw. If I have to cook it for her, do you think steaming would work? She never really took to baby cereals nor jarred/homemade pureed food, but is doing really well with her yogurt (the only thing she will let us feed her!) and finger foods (misc. veggies, fruit, cheeses, breads, Morning-O's), so hopefully the tofu will be a hit.

TIA,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

shishamo
03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Hi Mellisa,

Tofu can be eaten raw, so I would just cut them into cubes and let her go with it. I sprinkle a tiny bit of soysauce on them but I didn't do that when my kids were younger.

You can also cook the cut-up cubes with dashi (it's a Japanese fish broth but i'm sure chicken broth should work also) and optionally a bit of miso, I also throw in same veggies sometimes, and make a miso soup. Just be careful to cool the tofu cubes very well before giving them to the baby (even though cool to the touch, the inside can be scalding hot). My kids love this.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-01-2004, 02:44 PM
I got the extra firm or firm tofu and just cut it into cubes, pressed the water out between paper towels, and let her eat it, plain. I cut the cubes about the size of a cheerio.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
03-01-2004, 03:45 PM
I dice the tofu up and put it in his evening cereal every night. He ate it at first, but now is anti pick up my own tofu! I'll try cutting it in strips and frying up in butter in a few weeks and see if he will try it again since that is what Nita (resident tofu expert :)) recommended.

It is a great source of protein so I think try it a few ways and see what Sarah likes. There is not much to it and you can't really mess up tofu.

zuzu
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the tofu tips. I look forward to Sarah trying some tonight. I'm glad she'll be able to eat it raw because that makes it easier to prepare on a regular basis, but I will try cooking it as part of miso soup when I have more time. When she starts to do better with firmer textures, I'll also try to sauté it in some butter. Now if only I could get DH to like it too. . . ;-)

Great suggestions and advice--thanks everyone!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)