PDA

View Full Version : So juice is bad?

jd11365
03-01-2004, 10:31 PM
I mix organic juice...apricot, blueberry, grape. or apple...in with her infant oatmeal each morning. Is this bad? I guess after reading some of the threads about sugar I feel like I've done something wrong...like too much sugar. And of all people, I've been a stickler about sugar!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

egoldber
03-01-2004, 10:37 PM
In moderation, juice isn't bad. But it also isn't the great wonder that the juice companies would like you to believe. It is most definitely not a replacement for eating fruits and veggies. But a few ounces a day is fine and a probably good thing as long as you get the 100% juice varieties with no ADDED sugars. Juice is naturally high in sugar because fruit is naturally high in sugar.

My DD had very bad constipation last week and I would have done anything to be able to give her a few ounces of juice to help. But she hates it, so go figure!

mama2g03
03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Actually, I was discussing starting my ds on solids with a friend of mine who says her ped. told her that using apple juice to mix cereals was beneficial. Something in the apple juice is supposed to help them absorb the iron better. I haven't confirmed that - anyone else ever heard of that?

lisams
03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Yes, vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron, so mixing it with iron fortified cereal is actually not a bad idea at all, expecially since the amount you would need to mix in is small. Just make sure the juice has vit. C in it, many, including "adult" apple juice, don't. The baby apple juice does.

HTH!
Lisa

JElaineB
03-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Vitamin C helps with iron absorption, so if the apple juice has vitamin C (I assume it does) it should help somewhat. But if you give it in the form of fruit rather than juice (applesauce for example, rather than apple juice) in the same meal it should do just as much good.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ETA: I must have been typing when Lisa posted, don't want to look like I was just repeating what she said! :)

jubilee
03-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I give DS juice that is watered down, and feel fine about it. I read on Dr. Sears' site that apple juice has little going for it, however white grape juice is good and has properties that help with a healthy digestive tract. I wonder if that is true?

jd11365
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
That's good to know since Kayla had lower iron levels at her last ped appointment... I'm assuming that a little juice just to make her cereal can't be bad...but I didn't realize the sugar factor... I use 100% juice that's organic...
Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I just mix the dry cereal into the babyfood fruits until it is as thick as I want it.

That avoids the whole juice issue, and gives her all the benefits of the fruits.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
here's an AAP link about it

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/pediatrics;107/5/1210
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03