PDA

View Full Version : advice for breastfeeding on the go

sugahmomma
03-01-2004, 11:25 PM
I breastfeed my 3 month old daughter but need advice on feeding options (aside from breast feeding in public) when we go out for a few hours. I always make a bottle of formula when we go out to the mall. I feel guilty doing this because I want to give her breast milk as much as possible. Are there any other options?

Momof3Labs
03-01-2004, 11:44 PM
You could pump a bottle for her before leaving. Or find ways to nurse her when you are out - places like the Nordstrom's lounge and dressing rooms are private, and I've nursed plenty of times in the back seat of the car. Or learn to NIP (nurse in public) - it is really very liberating to know that you can feed your baby whenever, wherever! Are you looking for NIP tips; it's not clear from your post.

farsk
03-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi!

I know how you feel. Before we would leave for church on Sunday mornings, knowing we would be going out to eat afterwards, I always pumped a bottle to go so I wouldn't have to NIP. Then, one day, I just bit the bullet and NIPed. No one even looked my way and everyone around us thought I was rocking her to sleep! Give it a try!

Good Luck!

Rachels
03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with looking for lounge areas to try NIP. You can always choose to bring a bottle of pumped EBM along, but I think you'd be surprised how easy NIP gets. I was really nervous, too, but within a few times of doing it, it was second nature. If you want tips or ideas, let us know!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

hez
03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
We started simply-- back seat of the car. Progressed to a crying child room during a wedding (funny story...), then to a dressing room at the mall, and finally (with a blanket) to the table at a restaurant. I had a friend take a full 5 minutes to realize DS was eating at the table with us!

At the mall, I am still most comfortable nursing him in a dressing room-- especially because DS is so nosy now, I'm not excited about flashing when he pops off & throws off the blanket to check out a noise. But, that's me & my personal hangups. No one would even notice probably if it actually happened 'cause we're pretty discreet.

When we go out, I also try to make sure I've just fed DS before we leave-- usually gives me 3-4 hours of time between feeds to get my stuff done. The nice part for me about BF'ing is that if I stay out longer than planned, I've got the next meal with me.

momma_boo
03-02-2004, 11:27 AM
If you aren't comfortable with nursing in public, you can always take a bottle of pumped milk with you instead of the formula.

There is a ton of information on the boards about different pumps - there are manual ones and electric ones. If you are only pumping occassionally, the Avent Isis seems to be a well-recommended manual pump(I don't have one myself) and is easily found (some drugstores even carry it).

toomanystrollers
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Several malls in our area have "nursing lounges" - you may want to check into that or some Baby Gaps have a nursing area as well.

FWIW, I wasn't terribly comfortable nursing in public (NIP) with our first - so I was usually nursing in the car or in a nice large dressing room. Just grab something "to try on" and head for the nearest dressing room.

Skip the bottles :) - no need to mix or heat!

wendinbill
03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I guess confidence while NIP comes with time...when my son was born, I would nurse him in the car prior to going into a restaurant or wherever. I've nursed him in store dressing rooms...now I just nurse him wherever!! He's six months old TODAY!! I've only gotten a funny "look" once at Panera. I always use a blanket while I'm out. But if I'm just at someone's house, I latch him on quickly, and between my shirt & his mouth, the only thing showing is my fat roll! ;)

stillplayswithbarbies
03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
You can get a breast pump and pump milk to put in the bottle before you go out.

Or you can feed the baby just before you go out and plan to be home before she is hungry again. (she'll start to go longer between meals now that she is getting older)

Or you can find a private place to nurse. Some people do it in the car, or in a dressing room at a store, or in a nursing lounge at a department store.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03