PDA

View Full Version : Missing a feeding due to baby sleeping unusually long (and Mom too)! LONG P...

sugarsnappea
03-02-2004, 09:18 AM
My big baby girl has been nursing like a champ. During the day she rarely goes more than 1 1/2 hours between feeds. Usually around 5-6pm she starts her cluster feeding and tanks up until she falls asleep around 9:30-10. For the past week she will sleep at the most 4 hours, and wake up to nurse. She will go back to sleep, and wake up again about 3 hours later (6AM) and nurse on one side. I bring her downstairs and she sleeps again for about an hour and a half. During this time I usually pump the breast she didn't nurse on.

Last night she slept 6 1/2 hours! I know I should be ecstatic, but I am so worried about my milk supply. Like I mentioned, she eats all day long! When we both woke up, I nursed her and she fed on one side and went back to sleep. I then immediately pumped both breasts. I am not uncomfortable but worry if she continues to sleep well- do I need to wake up in the middle of the night and pump. I hope I am making sense. TIA!

votre_ami03
03-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Deb, I think it took about three mos for my supply to reach normal. In other words, I don't thinkit will hurt too much at this point. Now, at 7 mos, I miss pumps & feeds fairly regularly & I am still able to meet the demand.

The other thought is Noraa is right around that 6 week growth spurt. Nolan ate a lot for a few days & then slept a lot. Their little bod's are changing & growing. I would tend to think though that every 3-4 hours is more normal & she will start switching that way soon. HTH! This is such my experience & of course they are all different. ;)

(eta: correct spelling ;))

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

COElizabeth
03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
It sounds like she is doing fantastically well! I don't think you need to pump unless you are either uncomfortable or want to build up a supply of EBM. As long as she is getting all her milk from you, your supply will keep up with her, regardless of when she eats. And if she suddenly starts waking up at night more often to eat, your body will adjust to that, too. Don't worry!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

hez
03-02-2004, 02:10 PM
The other posters had good advice... I was right there with you. Around 7 or 8 weeks DS slept 7 hours in a row about once a week for a little while, and I usually woke up before him, feeling awfully full (I still wear breast pads to bed just in case we get a really long stretch). I DID need to pump ahead to get ready to go back to work, so I figured on those days it was bonus time for the freezer stash, and there was still plenty for DS.

My body has always been able to keep up with his needs. Somewhere around 4 months or so I stopped feeling ridiculously full at odd times, including the middle of the night. Probably a combination of feeding rhythms evening out, and my going back to work, I think. Now that we're pretty established, occasionally I skip one pumping session at work, or DH feeds him a bottle of EBM while I'm out running errands, and everything is still OK supply-wise.