PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of Nutramigen formula ?

TraciG
03-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Sydney is now on this formula for her bad gas for a couple of days it seems like it's helping but it smells sooo bad & when she does have gas PU stinky !!!!!!!! So expensive too but if it works I guess that's all that counts !!!!!!!!

We have her 4 month check -up thursday & I think i'm going to be able to feed her fruit & cereal, excited about that !

Traci :)

COElizabeth
03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Traci,

A good friend of mine works as a brand manager for Nutramigen and another specialty formula. If you have any questions about it I can ask her.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

josephmama
03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
My son has been on it for over 6 months. It saved our lives. Although you will just about die when you see the cost! He was so gassy but not colicky. We tried soy and he got violently ill, then we switched to nutramigen. He's been so happy. He still would get some gas for a couple more months but it was manageable with mylicon drops. We found that ready to serve nutramigen lipil works best for him, but he can take all forms of it. We tried to switch him to normal enfamil at 4 months and he got very sick so we switched back.

Nutramigen is basically hypoallergenic predigested formula (sounds yummy!) that is meant for colicky or gassy babies, not necessary milk allergies. I guess it's for babies with trouble digesting milk proteins but not necessarily does that mean they are lactose intolerant. We call it liquid gold because of the cost and it smells kind of like cat food :) but I cannot tell you how worth it it is! It's also a pain to find all the time in the store so we have to often "stock up" a bit. I get coupons from Enfamil every so often which helps SLIGHTLY and the cheapest I have found it is walmart followed by target.

Kimberly H
03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
My Bryce was a Nutramigen baby and he's now 13.5 years old so it's been around a L-O-N-G time! It was outrageously expensive then so I can't even imagine how much it costs now.

nathansmom
03-03-2004, 01:31 AM
Ask your hospital for a contact number for their enfamil rep. Mine supplied me with enough Nutramigen so I never paid for it out of pocket. He also supplied me with plenty of formula checks so I never paid for any enfamil formula out of pocket. Nathan was on it for 2 months before we switched him back to normal formula. He poops were horrible the whole time he was on it. Taste the stuff, I tasted everything I fed Nathan. The stuff doesn't taste good. Hopefully Sydney can come off of it within a few months.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
If she has to be on a special formula due to tummy troubles, you probably won't want to start solid foods so early. Even for babies without gas problems, the AAP suggests to wait until 6 months for solid foods, at the earliest.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

TraciG
03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
I will remind him about the formula she just started, the nutramigen & tell him about how gassy she was / is, I spoke to a different doc in the prctice on the phone, I will ask about starting the solids, I think these docs say to start at 4 months, we'll see what they say because of her belly.

Yes so far the poops are gross !!!!!!!!!! I cant believe Sydney will have a bottle of EBM then right after drink this stuff !!!!!!!!

nathansmom
03-03-2004, 08:39 PM
I had alot of issues with Nathan and formula. I made the mistake of starting solids at 4 months and his screaming got worse. The best thing I did was not listen to what the doctor told me.
Until Sydney comes off of the nutramigen her poops will be runny and very stinky. Solids will not help with that.

Kimberly H
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I just emailed you :)

TraciG
03-03-2004, 09:31 PM
I was excited about starting solids but now i'm worried, I wonder what the doc will say !

nathansmom
03-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Nathan will be 13 months on Saturday and I still struggle with him eating solids. No matter what the doctor says follow your child. Sydney will let you know when and if she's ready to eat solids.