PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding Mom and Baby Weight Gain

chantal66
03-02-2004, 06:34 PM
For those of you who are breastfeeding, are you using a baby scale to find out if your little one is gaining weight ? Contrary to the bottle, you never really know how much they took.

Would be interested in your insight on this subject

Chantal

s_gosney
03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
We never used a scale at home, but DD was in the hospital for several days following delivery, then a home health nurse came to our house for a couple of days following that, so she was weighed at least daily for the first week. After that, I just trusted (and hoped) that she was getting enough to eat. I was actually relieved to stop the daily weigh-ins, but I can see how you could feel otherwise too. I know that peds will generally allow you to bring a baby by for a weight check or you can get a scale for home (I think you can rent them).
I think that as long as you can hear the baby swallowing when eating, and there are plenty of wet diapers, everything should be okay. I know that it is hard not to worry, but unless there are some complications you didn't mention, I think you're probably fine.
This is all just my opinion from my little bit of experience (a whopping 4 mos now). I'm sure you'll get lots of great answers here from some very knowledgable moms.

COElizabeth
03-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I didn't. DS was weighed at the pediatrician's a couple of days after we got home from the hospital and then again at his 2-week check-up. Then he wasn't weighed again until his 2-month check. Well, I think I did stand on our scale with him a few times to try to estimate, but that wasn't terribly accurate. :)

I agree that unless you have some special concerns, you probably don't need to worry about more frequent weighing, but the previous poster is right that some peds will let you come by for a free weight check to ease your concerns!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

votre_ami03
03-02-2004, 06:56 PM
We didn't either. Nolan was/is a pretty big boy.

I will admit though I had a lot of self doubt though those first couple days & I counted poopie & wet dipe's all of the time. I was a nervous 1st timer. I think it was about day 3, I pumped about 2 oz & fed Nolan a bottle b/c I was sure he wasn't eating. Then, I went with my gut. :)

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

deborah_r
03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
We didn't buy a baby scale, but he was weighed at his 2 week appointment (which was slightly after 2 weeks, since we were in the hospital for 5 days) and I went to a breastfeeding support group at 10 days old and weighed him before and after so I knew how much he was taking. After those two things, I did not worry much. I went back to BFing Support group almost weekly and weighed before and after for peace of mind, and also because I learned a lot at those meetings.

I would encourage anyone who is having problems breastfeeding and getting the baby's weight up to spend the money on the scale IF it would help them relax about it, because worrying so much can affect your BFing. But if all indications are that the baby is doing fine and getting plenty of breastmilk, I would say there is no reason to get a scale. I was encouraged not to get a baby scale (when I asked in a paranoid state as we left the hospital) and I think it was because they didn't want me to obsess about it!

missliss55
03-02-2004, 07:19 PM
My dd is 10 1/2 months old and she has been EBF. I too was concerned about whether or not she was gaining enough weight. As long as they are having enough wet diapers you are fine. The first couple months I even counted them. I know it sounds crazy but it really helped me not to worry so much. I had this little chart next to her diaper changing table and I would just put a check mark down for all her wet diapers. HTH.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

lisams
03-02-2004, 08:04 PM
We didn't, just relied on her weight check at her appointments, but I had a friend who had some problems, and she would take her baby to a breastfeeding supply/support store where they would let her use the hospital grade scales. She would weigh him before and then after a feeding to see how many ounces he took in. You can also do this at you ped's office. Counting the wet diapers was enough reassurance for me, but we didn't have any issues to make me think she wasn't getting enough.

HTH!
Lisa

mharling
03-02-2004, 10:22 PM
If you go to a breastfeeding support group, there might also be a scale there. The group offered at my hospital had one, so I weighed ds each time we went. I probably didn't *need* to, but the reassurance is nice.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

Rachels
03-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Nah. Remember that breastfeeding is the norm for a human baby. You don't need to be preoccupied with bottle-feeding standards such as knowing exactly how many ounces your baby takes. Unless there's a specific health problem, it just isn't necessary. As long as your baby is latching well and wetting enough diapers, she's getting enough.

Be careful about letting yourself reference bottle-feeding norms to evaluate breastfeeding. :) It's not the same thing at all, and a bottle-fed baby is never the standard by which a breastfed baby should be judged.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jbowman
03-03-2004, 05:58 AM
My ped. offers free "weight checks" between appointments, so I took advantage of this when DD was about 4-5 weeks old. She had been gaining well, but it was nice to have the reassurance between the 2-week and 2-month appointment. You might want to check with your ped., but don't worry about it too much. As a previous poster said, if there are plenty of wet diapers, everything is fine!

hez
03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Ditto the others. We had checks in the hospital, when the home health nurse came by, and at all his appointments. My peace of mind came from counting wet/dirty diapers. We have his six month appointment Friday, and I'm expecting a 20-21 pound monster weight based on what my regular old scale says ;)

My mom did mention she had a scale she used for all three of us (we were all BF babies). It gave her peace of mind, but I think mainly because I was a few weeks early and was only 5 1/2 pounds at birth.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-03-2004, 12:29 PM
No, I never weighed the baby or worried about how many ounces she was drinking. The great thing about breastfeeding is that baby is in charge of how much he/she drinks and they drink exactly as much as they need. It's so much easier than worrying about how many ounces to put in the bottle for them, they just drink until they are done at the breast.

My answer to people who ask me "how do you know how much she is drinking?" is "she is drinking exactly as much as she needs".

If you are following your baby's cues and putting baby to the breast when she makes hunger cues and letting her stay there at least until she stops swallowing, then baby is getting enough. No worries!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

chantal66
03-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Thank You so much for all your advices. Looks like a scale is not required unless there are health issues with the baby. I will trust mother nature and go with gut feel of how things are going.

Thanks again

Chantal
Baby due in April

Rachels
03-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Good call! :) We'll be here to support you when your little one arrives!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Vajrastorm
03-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I usually weigh Aine once a week.. Not because I'm worried, but because the BF support group I attend has a scale and its fun to see her gaining.