PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Baby food

BethS
03-02-2004, 08:20 PM
We'll be starting solids in 6 weeks or so and I'm hoping to make Jack's food. So...I'm looking for tips, book reccomendations, etc. I know I have a little time but I'd love to be as much of an expert as possible when the time rolls around.

jd11365
03-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi Beth!
I have a friend Beth with a son named Jack too! Anyway...making babyfood is sooooo easy, especially in the beginning. I used the Super Baby Foods book by Ruth Yaron to get me started...extremely helpful. I don't follow it to the letter, but for the beginning, she gets you started. I didn't make her "porridge" but used commercial baby cereal (most do this...the porridge is a PIA). FYI, Earth's Best baby cereal has 1/2 the iron of Beechnut Naturals...I didn't find that out until I learned from the ped that Kayla needed more iron in her diet.

Basically I would steam, blend and pour into ice cube trays. When the trays were frozen, I would put the cubes in a ziploc bag. Each cube is 1 ounce, so I would defrost 1 or 2 cubes in the beginning and presto...a meal!

Feel free to email me if you have personal questions about it...I am always happy to help out with babyfood questions!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

HelenD
03-03-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm really interested in what foods you found worked really well and what didn't. Did you buy frozen, canned, or fresh?

TIA.

H.

KGoes
03-03-2004, 03:12 PM
I may be one of the few mothers on the planet that has not read Super Baby Foods. I checked out some baby nutrition books from the library, and then just took the plunge. I steam sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, etc. - whatever looks good in the grocery and is recommended for babies (if you want ideas, just look at the baby food in jars and copy the ingredients) and blend to desired consistency, thinning with some of the steaming water if necessary. I have also oven roasted some veggies, like squash and root vegetables and then pureed, but I honestly don't think she cares. For fruits, I cook apples in a small amount of water - I use a blend of apples because I think it tastes better. For peaches, pears, etc., I steam them. I make a small batch of any new food before committing since she has proven to be a bit of a fussy eater (so much for the one book I read that assured me that every baby loves parsnips). One of the mothers in day care had a huge supply of the square containers that Gerber fruit comes in. I freeze the fruits and veggies in those containers and then wash and reuse. It really doesn't take much time. For example, two sweet potatoes makes about 7 containers full.
Kelley
DD born 7/03