PDA

View Full Version : What is the best sippy cup for little hands?

vpalmer
03-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Is it just me or do most sippy cups seem huge? DD is not exactly drinking from a sippy very well. I know it's not a big deal, but I thought I might try some different sippy cups. So far we have tried the Avent bottle with the sippy attachment and the take and toss sippy cups.

What are your DD and DS's favorite cups?

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

JElaineB
03-04-2004, 10:13 AM
We have moved on to mostly straw cups, but when DS was younger his favorite cups were the Playtex First Sipsters, with 2 handles. The handles really helped him hang on much more easily than just holding on to the sides of the cup. They do make the Sparkling Sipsters now without handles and those are small too. DS did like the Take 'n' Toss cups from The First Years. I saw on their website that they have a new version that is even smaller than what they have had out before, called the Little Learner (link is below). I know some people also substitue a snack cup bottom (I think) to make a really small Take 'n' Toss cup.

http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandmealtime/

http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/product.asp?pValue=1192

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sntm
03-04-2004, 10:20 AM
We have the Take and Toss sippies, both the regular ones and the new smaller ones that are contoured. Jack likes them both and can handle both okay, but I like the smaller cups because you can put less liquid in them (like leftover EBM) and he can still get it easily without having to lean back all the way. The contours do make it easier to hold.

Want to try a straw cup soon -- any suggestions on those???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

JElaineB
03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
I have been using the Munchkin Healthflow Spill Proof straw cups. The package says ages 2 and up but DS has been using them for quite some time with no problems. I like them because they are spill proof even when the cap is not closed. They do leak a little if left on their sides for long periods of time though. As far as I know, other straw cups are not spill proof when open, but it is hard to tell from the package sometimes. I also like the Munhckin cups because they have rubbery grippers on the sides of the cup, so DS is able to hold on to them quite easily.

ETA: I saw these cups in Walmart today (in the package, I already own 5 of them!) and the name actually is Munchkin Healthflow Big Kid Straw Cup.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

vpalmer
03-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I did not know about the smaller ones. Thanks for the tip, Shannon. Where did you buy these?

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

vpalmer
03-04-2004, 01:11 PM
What a good idea about replacing the bottom with the snack cup! I'll have to try that!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

new_mommy25
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Not Shannon, but you can buy the smaller cups at Target, TRU, BRU etc. Probably in grocery stores too.

mharling
03-04-2004, 03:59 PM
That's what we've been doing and it works GREAT!!! Lane can pick it up and drink out of it with one hand. I love how easy it is for him.

And for whoever asked above (sorry, can't remember who), Take and Toss is also available in a straw version now. Haven't tried it yet, but I want to.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

jal
03-04-2004, 06:17 PM
We tried the Advent (because we had done so well with the bottles) but we hated them. The primary problem is that they seem to take more sucking power than others and we just couldn't get DS to start using it. In addition, it has a lot of parts.

We then tried the Gerber sippys and have been generally very happy. They have a wide selection and the valves are interchangeable (and replacements readily available.

The ONLY complaint we've had is that the valve is held in the spout via friction. Sometimes the valve and spout are not a good match and the valve can fall out of the spout into the drink if the sippy is dropped or bang real hard. Otherwise, we have a whole collection of them (small, large, soft spout, hard spout, insulated, etc).

Oregonmother
03-05-2004, 12:51 AM
Did you try the Avent handles when you used the sippy cup attachment with the Avent bottle? My 5 month old had a hard time holding the Avent too until I bought the attachable handles. Now he can drink with one hand.