PDA

View Full Version : Using Soy Milk

ddmarsh
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi all - My DD (13 months, yikes!) is having an absolutely awful constipation problem that appears to be the result of whole milk. I asked our ped if we should try soy and he said yes. My questions are though - 1. there are quite a few varieties, what am I looking for that is the equivalent nutritionally to whole milk

2. does it have an odd or different taste that she may have to adjust to

3. do you think it may help the constipation?

Thanks so much in advance and pardon the jumbled message as I'm typing with baby in hand :).

nathansmom
03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Anytime I switched to soy formula with Nathan he'd get constipated. I tried soy milk the other day, we were visiting a friend and he needed a drink, and he got constipated again. I don't know if Nathan is just weird and can't handle soy or if its a common thing. My friend's daughter is on soy as she's allergic to dairy and has no problem.

lizajane
03-04-2004, 05:56 PM
silk organic soymilk is calcium fortified. you may need to add fat to her diet, by using butter or olive oil on stuff. my ped said soymilk is a-ok, just to be sure he gets his calcium. and since he eats whole milk yogurt, cheese and his green veg, the ped said he will be a-ok. the ped didn't even mention the fat issue, and my kid is a little skinny. not too skinny, but definitely thin.
ETA: you can get silk at walmart for $2.23. best price i have found.

ddmarsh
03-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replies and info. Coincidentally today I gave her a half soy and half whole milk bottle and she vomited everywhere a few hours later. She has vomited several times more though and even though there is no fever I think it is likely a virus and not the soy.

Thanks again -