PDA

View Full Version : water during the day

miki
03-04-2004, 01:54 PM
When your babies started solids, did you also start giving them a little water at the same time? My ped's instruction sheets did not say that this is necessary but I've read this elsewhere. TIA

missliss55
03-04-2004, 02:30 PM
My dd is 10 1/2 months old and I offer her water from a sippy cup after each meal. I BF first, then we do all the solids and I then offer her the water. It has been a great way for her to practice the sippy cup. She generally only takes an once or so. HTH.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

egoldber
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I introduced water in the sippy at around 8 months. At most it was 2-4 ounces day. Its not necessary, but there's no harm in giving a few ounces either.

In retrospect, I think it was helpful when she turned 1 that she already liked water as a beverage.

HTH,

mharling
03-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Lane has a sippy with water available during his meals. Sometimes he drinks quite a bit of it and sometimes he doesn't want any. I have been amazed, however, about how he knows when he needs it. We didn't start this right away when we started solids; I'm guessing it was around 8-9 months.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

lizajane
03-04-2004, 05:54 PM
i introduced a sippy of water around 5 months. around 9 months, he actually starting to drink the water as a beverage. (he didn't start solids until 8 months) now he drinks like an adult- bite of food, sip of water... etc. he drinks about 4-6 ounces of water per day.

sadie427
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Yes, we started offering sips from a cup during his meals right when we started solids about a month ago. He had some constipation problems so I started offering a little between meals too and that seemed to take care of it. I asked the ped and she said there's no minimum or maximum amount of water, but that we should offer it often and he'll take as much as he needs. I'm glad we started from the beginning because then when we needed to get a little more into him because of the constipation we were able to use a cup and not a bottle. We make our own baby food and give some table food, which might account for his increased need for water as the jarred food probably has more water in it than what I make.