PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm worried, what should an 11 month old be eating?

McQ
03-04-2004, 03:43 PM
So I've been following the thread in the bitching post about FTT and while there's never been any concern with Declan, I've got the suspicion that I'm not feeding him enough. Although he never appears to be hungry between meals or even once he's done with a meal. He's 25% percentile but a skinny little bugger. Here's his typical feeding schedule:

6:30am wake, bottle about 6 ounces (there's always 8 in there)
8:30am 3.5 ounces jarred fruit + 2 tabs cereal. offer canned fruit
9:30am bottle before nap around 8 ounces (out of 9)
12:30pm 4 ounces veggie/meat + 2 tabs cereal and cheerios
3:30pm bottle before nap around 8 ounces (out of 9)
6pm 4 ounces veggie/meat + 2 tabs cereal, canned fruit, cheerios and something from our plate (pasta, cooked veggies, shredded chicken, mashed potato etc)
7:30pm 6 ounce bottle (out of 8) then bed

Does that sound like enough? I have given him cheese which he'd rather just spread over his tray. I do some times subsitute the fruit in the morning for Yo Baby. He does eat things like crackers or wagon wheels either for a snack or with meals if I'm trying to keep him in his highchair longer. He does get water in the sippy and occasionally diluted juice.

I've been meaning to get myself in gear to try to make scrabbled egg yolks and Joey inspired me to make a quiche. Any other suggestions? Should I be offering more? I know I need to be trying different things. So any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Momof3Labs
03-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Allison, he's still getting 28oz of formula, which is a good, healthy amount. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

nathansmom
03-04-2004, 05:20 PM
If only Nathan ate that much. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The concern with Nathan is that he keeps slipping on the charts.
Here's what he eats in a day.
between 8:30am-noon: 2 ounces of formula, 4 pieces of diced peaches and 1 banana cookie
noon-4pm: 4 ounces of formula, one bite of whatever I'm eating for lunch, 2-5 cheerios, and 2 spoons of yogurt
4pm-9pm: 4 ounces of formula, one bite of my dinner and one bite of dads dinner, a wagon wheel, 2-3 graham crackers
9pm-8:30am- 4 ounces of formula
I can't get him to eat anything else. Sometimes the diet varies but you can see that he doesn't eat much. We've seen a nutritionist and she's baffled as to why he won't eat. I'm constantly offering him food and he always turns it down. Last night I did get him to eat quite a bit but we had a 3 year old over and I think he was just copying him.

lizajane
03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
don't worry! that sounds very similar to what my 3.23.03 baby is eating!

7am: nurse
8am: 4 oz yo baby, JUST added tbls or two of fruit and some cheerios or a mini "whole kids" waffle
11:30ish: something from every "food group"-fruit, veg, protein, dairy, cereals and water to drink, total of about 6 oz of food
2 or 3: nurse
5 or 6: dinner, exactly like lunch
7:00: nurse

we just went down to nursing 3x this tuesday, so the schedule isn't set in stone just yet. if he drinks EBM in a bottle, it is 7-8 ounces. but i don't know what it would be not that we only nurse 3x.

missliss55
03-04-2004, 06:57 PM
My dd is 10 1/2 months old and this is our normal routine:

7:30am wake: BF, 3T of rice cereal, 2T fruit, bread/cheerios (or somehting like that)
11:30 lunch, BF, 1-2T chicken, 2-3T veggies, 2T fruit, bread/rice cake/pasta
3:30 snack, BF, crackers/cheerios
5:30 dinner, BF, 3T rice cereal, 1-2T chicken, 2-3T veggies, maybe 1T of fruit, pasta/bread/rice cake(something like that)
7:30 BF before bed

We transitioned out of baby food a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping to add some yogurt to her diet soon. She had a reaction to dairy a couple of months ago.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

McQ
03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks. That makes me feel better. I just know I need to step it up giving him more table foods and try new things. It's venturing into the wide and open unknown :) So I feel a little guilty about that. He can't be on the jar stuff forever.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

missliss55
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
When we I started doing table food with my DD I was really neverous. I think part of that was b/c she had a reaction to dairy. But what I soon realized was that she was ready and I was the one who was being overly cautious. I was worried she was going to be on baby food forever. I just started giving her cut up veggies (she already loved cut up fruit) and to my amazement she ate everything. She even asked for more (we do baby signs). So far she hasn't been too picky and will eat most anything on her plate. I know it is hard but he will tell you if he isn't ready or wants more or is done. HTH.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

missym
03-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi Allison,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you! It sounds like Declan is doing great. I know what you mean about hesitating to offer new things; I think one of our problems with Gwen is that we found things she *would* eat and stuck with those, rather than being persistent with things she *should* eat.

I also do believe that the root of Gwen's problem is insufficient intake of breastmilk, whether it's her fault or mine.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03