PDA

View Full Version : BF...Playtex "One Step" or any other

tbaker018
03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
My husband and I just recently decided we are going to try BF. Up until now, I had planned on using the Playtex disposables with formula. I understand breast milk is healthier for baby (according to my OB-GYN).

I am really confused to this area....
I am going to try the "nipple approach" but I am not really sure I feel comfortable with it nor if I will enjoy the experience. I plan on pumping too.

I know I need bottles (have them already), pump (not sure what kind to get....buy or rent?), bags for pump (not sure what to get), boppy pillow.

What do I get? Can I interchange my nipple and bottle? Can I try breast milk sometimes and formula the other times, in the beginning?

Should I try the "one step" and exactly what is it?
As you can see, I am terribly confused and nervous. Especially since the baby is due in 3 weeks!
Please Help!!

JElaineB
03-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi,

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! And congratulations on your decision to breastfeed. There are many mommies here who will have excellent breastfeeding advice for you.

Anyway, I will try to answer some of your questions, but I know there are others here who will be able to help more. First, you should plan on breastfeeding exclusively (no bottles) the first 4-6 weeks. If you introduce artificial nipples too soon, your baby could start to prefer the bottle and your breastfeeding relationship will not get properly established. At 4-6 weeks you can start supplementing with bottles, preferably with expressed breast milk (EBM). Using formula especially in the early months can cause a vicious cycle where it will decrease your milk supply and you will have increased reliance on formula.

Having a pump on hand is a good idea, what type depends on how often you are using it. Many moms like the Medela Pump-In-Style or Ameda Purely Yours. If you aren't sure about buying an expensive pump you can rent a hospital grade pump before you decide. If you are returning to work one of these options is probably the best.

It sounds like your OB is very supportive of breastfeeding which is great! You should definitely try to find a breastfeeding-supportive pediatrician. That will be very important once the baby arrives.

Also, you might want to pick up a couple of books on breastfeeding to help you. There are many out there. One I found helpful was "The Nusring Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins, R.N., M.S. It has very practical advice in it. You might also try "So That's What They're For! Breastfeeding Basics" by Janet Tamaro. I haven't read it but I have heard good things about it.

One last thing, you might consider changing the title of your post to to indicate you need breastfeeding info, you'll post will probably get more attention that way! Good luck and keep us posted!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02