PDA

View Full Version : BF in public

tbaker018
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I do not feel comfortable doing this in public. I will probably want it in the bottle (pumped). Do I need to get something insulated for my diaper bag? What if I go shopping or out to dinner for a lenghty amount of time. What do I do?

sntm
03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Many diaper bags have insulated compartments. You can add a freezer pack to keep it chilled also. If your baby gets a bottle of breast milk, you have to pump during that time or ASAP to ensure your supply stays up.

I would encourage you to try nursing in public, though. Most of us who now nurse in public were very shy and uncomfortable about doing it at first. You can essentially do it with complete privacy in some locations-- an empty room at a close friend's house, a private dressing room. Then, as you get more comfortable with nursing, try other areas -- in front of your close friend, with other nursing mothers at a support meeting. Then in an isolated area outside, like a park bench. Soon, you will feel able to nurse anywhere.

You'll grow to be much more comfortable with it -- especially as you realize that (1) most people won't even notice what you are doing at all (2) those who do notice won't be able to see anything (watch yourself in front of a mirror) (3) almost all people will be in complete approval of what you are doing. Being able to nurse in public also gives you much more freedom and will help to ensure that you can do the best thing for your baby by continuing to nurse.

Congrats on the soon-to-be-here baby! Feel free to post any questions, any time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

nitaghei
03-05-2004, 12:09 PM
The freebie diaper bag that you hopefully got should have an insulated bottle bag that you can use. However, if you pump right before you leave, the EBM should be fine for several hours (3-7)without refrigeration.

Honestly, NIP is not that hard. I'm extremely modest, and the thought of NIP horrified me pre-baby. Now, I've been doing it for months and months. I've even NIP'd in Target! Also - if you're shopping in a mall, many of the better stores have nice women's lounges that offer considerable privacy (Nordstrom's is the best!).

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Jen in Chicago
03-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I forget the rule, but EBM can go a hours unrefigerated. Your diaper bag most likely has an insulating thing-a-ma-jig.

I thought I would NEVER NIP, and I did. I knew I had entered a new stage in life when I NIP with Jude < 2 weeks old at a restaurant/bar I frequented during my single days. I was with 3 Mom's sitting outside at the sidewalk cafe and he was crying and I did it. It was very liberating.

I would use bathrooms, dressing rooms,... or just a discrete area. It is very convenient to have built in taps. DH I expected to freak out, but he was very supportive.

Jude went through bottle stikes, so I really had no option unless I wanted to sit at home all the time.

Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-05-2004, 03:19 PM
You can use the insulated bottle holders that will come with the free diaper bag you get in the hospital, unless your hospital no longer gives them. (Hospitals with the Baby Friendly rating do not, because they have formula in them and Baby Friendly hospitals promote breastfeeding)

you can get a lunch size cooler, if your diaper bag doesn't have one. But if you pump just before you go out, the milk will keep for awhile. It's good for 10 hours at room temperature, less than that in a hot car or outside in the summer.

If you go shopping, you can nurse in your car, or in the nursing lounges at the department stores. Or in a dressing room. If you go out to dinner, you can nurse before and after in your car. (although I found that as soon as the food arrived my baby wanted to nurse no matter when she nursed last!)

Don't rule out nursing in public. you might find that your attitude changes once the baby is here. Mother Nature has designed things so that our hormones help us to know that feeding baby is the most important thing in our lives sometimes. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hez
03-05-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't have any advice past the others' except some words of encouragement. I NEVER EVER EVER thought I would NIP (nurse in public). Never. I'm the kind of person who doesn't even like to make phone calls to people I've never met. Such a shy wimp on certain things... And now I NIP when necessary. I don't go look for opportunities, but I don't let the fact that I might not have a fresh bottle in the fridge prevent me from going out & doing stuff with DS.

It can be done, and you might just surprise yourself. Motherhood has been full of valuable lessons in surprising myself so far, and I'm enjoying it! Wishing you the best!

Imperia
03-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I just wanted to add you can make nursing in pulblic easier on yourself if you get a couple of nursing tops, they allow you just to uncover your breast instead of lifting your entire shirt, and then you can often arrange the fabric to cover up what isn't covered by your baby's head. A sling can also be used to NIP fairly easily.
I understand feeling embarassed about NIP (although we shouldn't have to! it's a totally natural action) I often nurse the baby in my car, its so much easier knowing she has food avaiable whenever she needs it than having to lug around a bottle. I agree about changing your mind after the baby arrives, you might be surprised to what legnths you will go to provide for you baby once s/he is here!

Good luck

Imperia

sherryh
03-07-2004, 12:56 AM
On the flip side, don't worry if you never feel comfortable nursing in public. I nursed my baby 6 months, and never felt comfortable about nursing in public (and I live in the SF Bay area, where women are pulling out their boobs all the time!!). It's a personal thing, for sure, so don't feel like you are weird if it doesn't feel comfortable to you.

When your baby is a little older, you can often predict when you might be able to get out for an hour or two without having to feed. I also nursed in the car if I had to - I just didn't want to be in a truly "public" place (like the mall food court). Also, many babies are easily distracted, so don't nurse well in public even if you want them to!!

Good luck!

SherryH

ohiomom
03-07-2004, 10:54 PM
That's my DD. We can't NIP because she's too busy looking at everything.. even if she's very, very hungry. Drives me nuts. I have limted success in dressing rooms, etc, but even there, since it's bright, she's checking it all out... Pumping in the car (we have tinted windows in the back) has been a life saver for trips and all day outings if I'm somewhere where I know she won't nurse... to keep my supply going. It's amazing how creative you become!

Nicole's Mom
7/30/03

signsing
03-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Be bold!

BFeeding is wonderful, I would be warry of a bottle since you could end up with nipple confusion (preference).
Once you feel confident with nursing try it out at a friends or somewhere. Its much more convienent than pumping a bottle. The first 6 weeks are the toughest but hang in there and it will be simple. Try nursing in a sling, that is very discreet! Practice at home before trying it out. If you are out and need to nurse you can go to the car, or sit in a booth at a restaurant and face away from the crowd. Dressing rooms and bathrooms work as well.
My best reccommendation is a sling though. Try the carriers forum for advice or tips.
Also remember Women have been doing this forever, and will keep doing this forever. You can do it (and no one will even realize you are)
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

momma_boo
03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Tracy,
I haven't actually ever nursed in public (other than a few times in the car) and DD is 11.5 mos old and EBF (exclusively breast fed). It is more work to take the bottle with you, though. I usually take a bottle if we are going out but don't bother if we are going to someone's house. I usually use a separate room to nurse her.

If you are taking a bottle of refrigerated milk with you, you can use an insulated lunch bag with the re-usable frozen packs to keep it cold. I also had a thermos with me (some places are nicer about giving you hot water if you have your own container i.e. at the mall).
Something else we learned is that the milk warms up quite quickly when its stored in the bags (I use the Lansinoh brand) vs the bottle which makes a big difference when you have a hungry, screaming baby.

I usually nursed her right before we went out and then made sure to pump as soon as I got home.

Chelsey333
03-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I only bf my son for 4 mos., so I never got comfortable with nursing in public. My ds would pull off and on often, which makes being discreet very difficult. I would have milk squirting across the room sometimes. I would usually nurse in the car if I was out and about. Or if I was at someone's house, I would go in a different room. Another idea, is to get a pump that you can use in the car (w/adapter and/or battery pack). Then you can go out to the car, pump on one side and feed baby on the other. Then you are only in the car for half the time, and you can take the pumped milk and pour it into a bottle. I was at a baby shower yesterday, and my sil did that. I thought it was a great idea, bec then you don't miss all the fun. A lot of moms would have fed the baby right at the shower, but those of us that are anxious about bf in public can appreciate that. My sil has had 5 kids and she still tries to have some privacy. At family gatherings she will put a blanket over her shoulder and the baby to be discreet. Good luck.

Chelsey333
03-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I only bf my son for 4 mos., so I never got comfortable with nursing in public. My ds would pull off and on often, which makes being discreet very difficult. I would have milk squirting across the room sometimes. I would usually nurse in the car if I was out and about. Or if I was at someone's house, I would go in a different room. Another idea, is to get a pump that you can use in the car (w/adapter and/or battery pack). Then you can go out to the car, pump on one side and feed baby on the other. Then you are only in the car for half the time, and you can take the pumped milk and pour it into a bottle. I was at a baby shower yesterday, and my sil did that. I thought it was a great idea, bec then you don't miss all the fun. A lot of moms would have fed the baby right at the shower, but those of us that are anxious about bf in public can appreciate that. My sil has had 5 kids and she still tries to have some privacy. At family gatherings she will put a blanket over her shoulder and the baby to be discreet. Good luck.