PDA

View Full Version : Nursing strike-don't know what to do.

lfp2n
03-05-2004, 03:14 PM
DD was nursing well (4 times a day plus 5 oz of EBM at daycare) and she was eating breakfast and dinner and starting a little lunch at daycare.
Over the last few weeks her appetite has deteriorated, she won't eat much solid food or nurse well. This morning she ate some applesauce, yesterday she ate about 2/3 of a yogurt in the morning and a tablespoon of pasta in the evening. I can't tell you how many other things were offered and refused. Added to this she is nursing very poorly, like maybe a minute or two, and I'm feeling full and pumping a lot more so I know shes not getting much. Over the last couple of weeks the whole eating/nursing thing seems to becoming a fight, shes screaming and fighting and crying and shaking her head, so I felt this was setting up a bad cycle, so now I back off immediately she shakes her head to try not to make an issue of it- OK that stops the crying but somehow I need her to eat more.
The nursing thing is so depressing, I just went to see her at lunch, she hasn't eaten since 9 but she wouldn't nurse. Is she trying to wean, she has to eat something-I just don't know what to do.

Lucy (DD 3/27/03)

Rachels
03-05-2004, 05:57 PM
She's almost certainly too little to be self-weaning. Actually, the first thing that comes to mind for me is teething or an ear infection. You might have her ears checked. In the meantime, see what happens if you give her some Motrin half an hour before you try to nurse or feed her. Here's a link for you, too.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

slknight
03-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I agree with Rachel; definitely get her ears checked. Alex currently has yet another ear infection (who says ebf babies don't get ear infections!) and a fever. He won't nurse AT ALL today, but would take about 6 ounces of pumped milk from DH. My pump is running over-time. He's also been refusing solid foods for about a week. Sounds pretty similar to your situation.

HTH,
Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

sntm
03-06-2004, 08:53 AM
lucy, hope she is feeling more like nursing soon! i agree, consider teething or ear infection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03