PDA

View Full Version : I'm in pain--Plugged duct??

cara1
03-05-2004, 04:40 PM
You'd think after two years of nursing I wouldn't have to post such a question here, but I am. I think we're sort of weaning. We've sort of gone from twice a day to just at night, and that is becoming inconsistent. We may go a few days without nursing at all. Yesterday my left boob was huge and engorged, and (thankfully) DS nursed it off, although last week I had to drag out the 'ole pump. We've been mainly just nursing from the Left because the Right has been hurting a lot lately. So when I get engorged, it's really just the left (looked kind of funny at work...). Since last night, the right boob is really really tender. Sort of a wedge shape under the breast. And becoming hard...I can hardly move it. Really tender to the touch. It's not red, it's not warm. And the breast isn't becoming engorged at all. I tried a long hot shower this AM and tried massaging it, but it didn't work at all. I can't remember the last time I had a plugged duct, is that what this is? In the past, the only cure was DS (pumping didn't work as well for plugs). Should I just try to have him nurse there tonight, even though a)I'm trying to encourage him to wean and b)it really really hurts having him nurse on the Right???
Any other thoughts??? Ouch...

Momof3Labs
03-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Here's some info on plugged ducts:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

(Watch that one - sounds like you are close to mastitis, so don't wait to do something about it.)

And info on weaning:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

Rachels
03-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Yikes! Yes, have him nurse on the right. You need to drain that breast. When you are feeling better, you can resume weaning, but you need to nurse on both breasts even if it's just a little bit until he's ready to stop. You can try cabbage leaves and sage to dry up your supply at that point.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

american_mama
03-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I got many plugged ducts from nursing, but never during weaning. I filled a baby sock with dry rice, heated it in the microwave, and applied it to the lump while baby nursed. And I massaged it as much as I could during nursing, during showers, and sometimes just laying down with the heated sock. I got so I could clear them up in about a day.

cara1
03-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Whew, one brief nursing session was all it took. Now I'm fine. But for the first 3-4 minutes, it felt like dozens of tiny razors being jabbed into my nipple. Poor DS, he saw me in pain, and was afraid to continue.

hez
03-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Glad to hear you're unplugged :)