PDA

View Full Version : Uneven breast size & milk supply

chlobo
03-07-2004, 07:16 AM
My SIL gave birth about 6 weeks after I did. After encountering a few breastfeeding problems (latch problems, thrush, unsuppotive mother, etc.) I suggested she consult a lactation consultant to see if they could get things going again.

The lactation consultant, who had 15 years experience, told her that in all likelihood she would not be able to build her supply up enough to feed her son because she had lopsided breasts (one bigger than the other). I assume this would be because the smaller breast just wouldn't produce enough milk. In the end she decided to supplement.

This has me very worried because not only am I very small breasted, but my breasts are very lopsided. While I haven't had a problem yet (my dd is 4 months old) I'm worried I might in the future.

Should I be? Was the information correct?

Thanks

Rachels
03-07-2004, 10:19 AM
WHAT?! That's really awful advice. Having breasts of different sizes is very common, and usually has no effect at all on milk supply. And some women GET lopsided while nursing, because one breast overproduces. Also, there are some women who primarily feed on just one side, and the breast compensates and makes enough milk. I'm sorry for your SIL, getting so little support. Please don't let it scare YOU. Small-breasted women are no less able to feed their babies than large-breasted women, and if you're nursing now, you can keep nursing in the future. Your breasts will make what your baby asks them to make.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

stillplayswithbarbies
03-07-2004, 02:04 PM
That information is not correct. Most women have breasts of different sizes. If that was true, then hardly anyone could breastfeed and the human species would have died out eons ago. :)

Is it possible she misunderstood the LC? Or that she really wants to quit for some reason and is saying that as an excuse? Or else the LC is not very knowledgeable, do you know if it was a board certified LC?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

22tango
03-07-2004, 02:15 PM
I have small breasts. They went from an almost "A" to an almost "C" when they were engorged after Karenna was born. But still they were too small to nurse in a side lying position until SHE got bigger. Now they're down to a "B", but we're STILL going strong with nursing at 18 months!! Breast size has NOTHING to do with how much milk you produce. It's a supply and demand issue -- your body makes it as needed. Even if there was some correlation between breast size and the amount of milk produced, I'd imagine that you'd just feed smaller but more frequent meals! Don't let that incorrect information scare you. Just relax and do what YOU want to do for your baby!! We're here for you! :D

chlobo
03-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I think what the lactation consultant said was that after her recent problems (thrush) that caused her supply to go down (due to poor latching & pain) that she would not be able to re-establish a good supply due to her lopsidedness - that is, in her 15 years of experience. I thought it pretty strange because I thought the biggest factor in keeping the supply was simply to have the baby nurse as much as possible.

Momof3Labs
03-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Even with that info, I agree that it is complete bunk. Heck, there are women who have nursed off of just one breast and done fine!!

houseof3boys
03-07-2004, 06:25 PM
You've already gotten great advice for your SIL. I just wanted to say tell her to nurse as much as possible, almost everyone has different sized breasts and to contact a La Leche leader and get some support that way. That LC is very very very wrong. Don't worry about any of this for you. You are doing fantastic and at 4 months of nursing you are to be congratulated! Don't let this bad advice make you the least bit nervous about your breasts. :)

lynettefrancois
03-08-2004, 02:47 PM
That is just SO wrong! You've got it right- nurse more and your body makes more. I had my supply go WAY down because of thrush (mostly from the diflucan, I think, even though I've never heard of it causing supply problems). My LC said to PUMP after baby is done eating and I think my breast is empty (it isn't). Of course, with thrush you have to sterilize the pump parts every time, but at least there's something that can be done! HTH!

chlobo
03-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, she's thrown in the towel on bfing. But I'll keep the info tucked away in case I have trouble.

signsing
03-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Isn't there a pill or something that can help you increas your milk supply? I know I heard that somewhere, not sure if its true or not.

Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

Rachels
03-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Reglan and domiperidone can help, and there are lots of natural ways to increase supply. But the best way is to keep nursing!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02