PDA

View Full Version : Is this a food allergy?

ericajosh
03-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Just tried solids for the first time yesterday with my 6 1/2 month old. He loved the baby oatmeal, but woke up this morning with a raised red rash all over his butt. Is this a reaction to the food? If so, should I switch to a different solid? Should I continue with the oatmeal or stop solids?
Thanks for the advice.
-Erica:-)

sarahfran
03-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Sounds like it could be a reaction or it could be diaper rash. My ped office has nurses on duty who answer questions like this when I call in (pretty often!). You might want to run it by a nurse or doc.

My ped said to start with oatmeal and then yellow/ orange veggies. I read somewhere that there's no need to start with cereal, and that veggies are a fine starter solid too. Perhaps a little butternut squash or sweet potatoes would work?

Good luck!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

KMommie
03-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Is this a diaper rash you've seen before? I know that with bananas, DD gets a bad diaper rash. We stopped the bananas, the rash goes away. We tried again a month later, same result. So, for DD, bananas = bad diaper rash. I would stop the oatmeal, maybe try a different solid... sweet potatoes, squash, pears are all good starters. I know lots of moms here have babies that loved avocados too.

HTH,
Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

signsing
03-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Sounds like an allergy to me. My son gets an allergy rash when he eats certain foods. I would stop solids all together for a few days and see if it clears up. Then maybe try something else next week. Since the allergies showing up with oatmeal I would make sure and keep the new foods spaced a week apart. Sometimes it takes awhile for allergies to show up.
Since your little guy is 6 mos you can start with vegies instead of cereal. They recommend cereals for younger babies but with is age he should be able to handle the texture and taste of veggies. Acorn Squash is a good thing to start with.
Keep a record of what he is eating and any reactions you see. They can show up in lots of ways.
Check out the resources section on this site:
www.wholesomebabyfood.com
there are lots of articles and links that should help you out.

Also remember the Dr. is a great resource, and always trust your instincts on when to give them a call.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

ericajosh
03-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Might try veggies in a few days when this clears up.
-Erica :)