PDA

View Full Version : Sleep questions... (not sure where to post!)

sarahfran
03-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Decided to post here because I've always received such great advice on the Feeding Board. My apologies for the random categorization.

Dylan's nap ritual goes something like this: Dylan gets fussy, mom nurses, he falls asleep nursing, mom puts him in crib, he wakes up about 20-45 minutes later. Every now and then I enjoy a delicious nap with him and he'll sleep longer (up to 1 hr 15 min).

So you can imagine my surprise when he napped for over 2 hours this morning. I checked on him every 10 minutes or so after the first hour... it was just such a big departure from his norm. Maybe this was a fluke and he won't do it again. But is this kind of a sleep schedule shift normal at 6.5 months?

Also, he now frequently wakes up at night and cries when he rolls onto his tummy and can't figure out how to roll back. Should I be concerned that he's not consistently rolling back onto his back?

Thanks in advance!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

dotgirl
03-08-2004, 01:42 AM
I don't know what everyone else will have to say, but our son (four months) generally only naps about 45 minutes at a time (unless we're in the car). As far as his routine, our doctor has suggested that it will be easier to get him to fall asleep on his own if he doesn't "fall asleep eating", so we try to work it so that he wakes up, eats, plays for a bit, and then falls asleep. He's getting good at going down for naps in his crib, so I think this is working pretty well.

I wouldn't think that not being able to roll back to his back is a concern, but you might feel better if you ask your ped. (I'm all about 'better to ask and sound silly than sit and worry', so I ask our ped all sorts of questions, no matter how small.)

ericajosh
03-08-2004, 10:22 AM
My son is about 6 1/2 months and also just started to take a 2 hr nap rather than the usual 1 hr nap. I think this is developmental. My SIL and MIL both said that his naps would begin to turn into longer stretches instead of many little ones.

I've also heard that it's pretty normal for them to roll and not be able to turn back, and then they start to cry. It seems to be one of those things that parents and kids must endure. They sell sleep wedges that might prevent the rolling (never tried this myself). My son turned over 3 times and just doesn't seem interested in doing it anymore. Guess each kid is different.

Hope this helps. Also, if you are concerned, it never hurts to call the doctor.
-Erica :)

Rachels
03-08-2004, 12:24 PM
I was just looking at Abigail's baby book yesterday, and her sleep around that age was much the same. She was a GREAT sleeper early on, then a terrible sleeper, then a so-so sleeper. But she started napping really well and really predictably at about 8 months.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

chlobo
03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
What are naps? LOL! My 4 month old takes maybe one short nap in the morning & possibly one around noon. Then she's up all day until bed. She gets very cranky. I'm praying she develops a routine soon.

TraciG
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
my baby ONLY naps in her swing !

sarahfran
03-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks! You guys have made me feel better!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)