PDA

View Full Version : How many spoonfuls is enough to properly introduce...

KMommie
03-08-2004, 01:39 AM
a new food? Kiki's had her share of food allergy troubles, so we're "behind" in food introductions. Anyway, how much does she need to eat to be included in the "okay" to eat list? The ped didn't have much to say on this. She's willing to try anything I give her, but ONLY a couple (okay, sometimes only one) spoonfuls. Does that count? If she does this for 3 days, and no reactions, can I move on? She's finally fairly healthy, so I feel like I need to play catch up. I was doing a week at a time, just to be safe, and also because, I've been bad about making sure she has regular meals---She loves her bottle! TIA!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

signsing
03-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Its fine if she doesn't want to eat. Remember formula/breastmilk is the only thing she needs in the first year. At this stage food is not that important. I would really keep things spaced for a whole week. Sometimes it takes that long for the allergy to show up. Give her some of the new food every day for the whole week before putting it on the "okay" list.
Also "regular" meals are not that important. It takes some getting used to to start mealtime.
Remember its not a race and every child develops at her own time. I get lots of grief from family/church over the fact that my son doesn't eat everything and I won't let them give him ice cream and frosting. But he has allergies to such things and he doesn't need sugar. Its about his health not their fun. Oh sorry I'm venting now. Also remember that the longer you wait to introduce the food the less likely they are to become allergic to it. Let her digestive tract develop a little and take your time with foods.

My favorite website for this stuff is:
www.wholesomebabyfood.com
check it out
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

KMommie
03-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks so much! I've been stressing, since DD is going to be a year old soon, and I'm getting grief from ILs that she's "behind" in her foods. The website is a great resource!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03