PDA

View Full Version : Ack! I think my freezer stash is no good.

momma_boo
03-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I tried using some milk from the freezer stash over the weekend and dumped about 3 bags (5 oz each) before I found one that was not totally rancid. They were from November, so only about 4 months old. Perhaps they hit the limit? Hopefully the ones from December are still ok. I'm planning to transition her over to whole milk next month and was hoping to utilize my freezer stash to prolong the ebm that she does get. Grrrr. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the remaining bags. I suppose if they all turn out to be bad, the likely suspect might be excess lipase. Fortunately, thanks to these boards, I'll know how to deal with that for the next baby!

Jeanne
03-08-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm having the same problem and mine are only 1-2 months old. What is excess lipase? This is my second child and you think I'd have heard of that!

spu
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
If you're going to freeze ebm, it's a good idea to scald the milk soon after pumping, and freeze it once it's cooled. It stays fresh in the fridge for up to 7 days, but the sooner the better if you're going to freeze it. Frozen milk, unscalded, breaks down and has a somewhat unpleasant 'cheesy' smell when thawed. This smell does not mean it has gone bad (but at 4 mos, if it's an older freezer, it might be on the cusp). Gently scalding it prevents the breakdown of some of the proteins which would cause the odor.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

stillplayswithbarbies
03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
If it was in a regular freezer, 3 months is about the limit that it will keep, so this might not be anything unusual. Especially if you had it in the door shelves, or if you open the freezer a lot.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

momma_boo
03-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Karen - You are probably right. Oh well. Hopefully some of the frozen milk closer to the back will be in better shape.

Susan - thanks for the tip about scalding. Definitely something for me to remember when I freeze milk with the next one!

Momof3Labs
03-08-2004, 02:10 PM
We had no problems keeping EBM as long as 6 months in a regular freezer, but at the back of the freezer, not in the door.

I'd say it is either too old (especially if you didn't freeze it right away - if you waited a week to freeze it, it will have a much shorter freezer life) or you have excess lipase.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
My refrigerator is 15 years old and I just didn't trust it with breastmilk long term. Once I realized I had a 4 month supply in the freezer, I went and bought a deep freeze to store breastmilk. We use it for other stuff too, but the main reason for the purchase was the breastmilk. That was right around the time of the blackout, and I was more worried about my breastmilk surviving than anything else. :)

I wanted to add that even though the milk smells funny, it might not be bad. See if the baby will drink it. Logan drinks breastmilk that smells funny to me, but when it is actually bad, she won't drink it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03