PDA

View Full Version : another cow's milk question...

spu
03-08-2004, 01:28 PM
My babies are now 19 mos old, and I still haven't given them cow's milk. Should I? They nurse tons, and eat good foods, but they're still on the light side - approx 10th percentile for weight, but about 70th percentile for height, so they're long and skinny... they are happy and energetic, but I'm just wondering at some point, don't all kids start drinking cow's milk? I'm not going to ask our ped. (that's another story all together!) so I'm asking you all if and when you start cow's milk with your babies / toddlers.

thanks!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

JElaineB
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
DS was formula fed so I started him on cow's milk just after one year old. But technically there isn't a *need* for any human to ever drink cow's milk. It is just a convienent source of fat, calories, protein, calcium and Vitamin D. But if you are still BF they should be getting those things from you still (except maybe the Vit D). DS is also only 10th percentile in weight and that hasn't change since switching from formula to cow's milk. If you don't suspect a milk allergy and have no other dietary objection to it, you could just have them try some and see how it goes!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ETA: Took out reference to talking to your ped after I re-read the original post!

ppshah
03-08-2004, 04:32 PM
I agree, cow's milk is a good source of calcium & vitamin D for toddlers - but they don't need it. I would just make sure they are getting several servings of cacium rich foods ( BM, yogurt, cheese). However most dairy products other than milk are not Vit. D fortified - so you might consider giving them Vit D supplementation depending on where you live and how much sun they get. On the other hand, there's no harm in giving the cow's milk- so if you're so inclined go ahead.

Congrats on BF twins for so long!!!