PDA

View Full Version : Ameda Purely Yours versus Medela Pump in Style

sdbc
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm starting to research which breast pump to purchase. I know the Ameda is slightly less expensive than the Medela, but I efinitely want the one that is gong to work the best, be easiest to use, and be the quietest. I'd appreciate any feedback on which you prefer and why.

Thanks so much!

Sue

ohiomom
03-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Friends lent me both. The Purely Yours is much lighter to travel back and forth to work if that is a consideration. I use the Purely Yours most of the time and like it. Not a huge difference in noise or ease of use IMHO. A lactation consultant may be able to demo them for you.

YOu may want to search this topic -- lots of postings on this in the fairly recent past as I recall.

Nicole's Mom
7/30/03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-09-2004, 12:47 AM
I chose the Purely Yours for the following reasons:

- lighter to carry
- you can carry just the pump without any tote, so it fits in a big purse if need be
- cheaper
- takes batteries without needing an adapter, they go right in the pump motor

I've been using it almost a year now.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ppshah
03-09-2004, 12:10 PM
I used the Medela PIS traveler pack & loved it. Easy to use etc. Never tried the Ameda so can't really compare. The newer traveler pack comes with a battery pack. I think for most women either would work great!!!

sdbc
03-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks everybody. I also searched earlier posts, and everybody who had the Ameda said they liked it, and everyone who had the Medela said they liked it, so I guess I can't go wrong.

Question: do you really carry the pump back and forth to work? I thought I would mainly just leave it at the office. Is there a reason to carry home the pump?

Thanks!

jbowman
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
I have the PIS (with the battery pack) and love it!

Yes I carry it back & forth to work. I like to have the pump at home in case Ellie skips a feeding or doesn't eat much. That way I can add to my freezer stash and keep up my supply. It's not that bad toting it around, but I only work in my office a couple of mornings a week (and *attempt* to work at home on the other days!).

stillplayswithbarbies
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
I started out pumping every morning before she woke up and that is when I got the most milk. So I needed the pump at home too. I'd rather pump once at home and twice at work than three times at work. Also, when I was trying to build up my freezer stash, I would pump at night sometimes before bed.

I just carry the pump motor back and forth, I have a complete set of horns and tubes that stays at work.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03